Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Resources » Writers Corner

Hell or High Water

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:51 am
scribbleinks says...

This is a thread for me (and anyone else who is interested) to talk about one of my current projects I'm sharing with YWS called (temporarily), Hell or High Water.

Note: Anything with a * next to it contains spoilers (the actual clickable spoilers are simply for organisation)

Current synopsis:

Spoiler! :
?

Chapters
Prologue
Chapter I [Seeker]
Chapter II [Under Siege]
Chapter III [On the Wings of a Pegasus] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter IV [Fever Dreams] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter V [Charter] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter VI [Hurricane] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter VII [The Ghost Captain] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter VIII [Little Star Interlude] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter IX [Prior Engagements] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter X [Insurrection] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter XI [Maristela] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]
Chapter XII [Repercussions] [pt.1] - [pt.2] - [pt.3]

Characters:
Spoiler! :
Liadan 'Star' Doran (Shana)
"My loyalty is first to my family and my kingdom!"

Alejandra Schwangau
"Why should anyone be punished for who they love?"

'Ghost Captain' Maeve Lochlainn
"If I ever had any favour with you, I would use it now."

MAEVE'S CREW

Kassidy Lochlainn

Gunnarr

Cyrano (Alaric)

Haydan

Krystal (Catalina)

Argi

Kemen (Julan)
"Fear and love are two of the most powerful motivators. What do you think would happen if both were used against you at once?"

Naia

Maeron (Quincy)

Lacey

Javiera

Gareth
"You know I'm doing all this for your own good."

Skylar

to be added

THE ROYAL FAMILY OF KINGDOM DORAN (Star's family)

Maura 'Mai' Doran

Nolan Peter Doran

Emeria 'Em' Doran

Charles 'Kian' Foley
"No one touches my daughter."

Reina Doran

Hawkin 'Hal' Doran (Holden)

WIP

MINOR CHARACTERS

Brogan Clacher
"Once a pirate always a pirate."

Peter Donnelly
"I cannot tell you why. Stop being so thrice damned impossible woman!"

Paskal Paisi
"You've doomed us all."

Andrian Sarac

Victor Vandalov
"Why don'tcha keep your tongue to yourself."

Gabriel Sala

Peio
"Have you not been alone too?"

Liam Foley
"Your eyes remind me of someone I once knew."

Patrick Foley

Conleth 'Cole' Keen

Aidan 'Ace' Löwe

Isabel Belmonte

Carina García

Other Works
Spoiler! :
Hell to Pay: The story of a family and an artist called Clara
Heavy is the Heart: Star's second instalment

THIS PAGE IS A WIP. All information is subject to change as I add/edit all the sections.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, leave any pointers or anything else you'd like to add! <3
Last edited by scribbleinks on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 48 times in total.
There's a thin semantics line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish.

490 Reviews

Reviews: 490
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 pm
Tenyo says...

Great title!
We were born to be amazing.

86 Reviews

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 pm
scribbleinks says...

Thank you! I've been struggling for a long time over the title for this one, nothing seemed right, but so far, I'm happy with this one :)
There's a thin semantics line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish.

86 Reviews

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:49 am
scribbleinks says...

Chapter system has been updated to fit posting chapters in multiple parts.

86 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 am
scribbleinks says...

Futzing around with different update systems.

Chapter Four is finished with 6186 words and will be split into three parts. I find the splitting is starting to get awkward, since the chapters are written as a whole piece and not separate parts. *shrugs* Not much I can do about it the way I'm writing it.

Possible additions to main post:
-The Flags of the different Kingdoms (and the flags in general)
-Character Accents (?)
-Deities

86 Reviews

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:59 am
scribbleinks says...

Chapter Five (Charter) is posted with one last part to go. The splitting is really uneven in the chapter, and the second part will be confusing to new readers.

Kind of a filler, but necessary to introduce more characters and aspects of the ship. Having so many characters in such a small place is difficult and though I can easily keep track of them all, I feel as though it might be overwhelming (especially to any of those who have not read previous parts). I am happy with how it came out, however, but I'm really hyped for the next chapter.

I must say that I'm really excited by the reviews I've been getting and that people have started picking up on some of the hints I've been dropping :)

Half of Chapter Six (Hurricane) is done, but I don't know when I'll get around to posting the next parts. I've already told myself I'd do more reviews before posting and I just got a new job so I'll be busy.

Alejandra and Star WILL be getting a chapter where they interact more. Star isn't going to abandon her (even though it may appear so in some chapters and I apologise for it...Alejandra is her own independent woman)

86 Reviews

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:41 am
scribbleinks says...

Chapter Five (Charter) is posted :D

We have some hinting and foreshadowing in this chapter ;D There are a few parts where describing how Star feels kind of felt stilted to me, but I've read the chapter now so many times it MIGHT just be me. I like this chapter regardless, and it was necessary (I promise)

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:36 am
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Isn't this the name of a film that was released really recently?

86 Reviews

Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:18 am
scribbleinks says...

I guess so? I just looked it up after you mentioned it and yeah, I suppose it is. I had never heard of it before.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm
CarryOnMrCaulfield says...

Good title for a book/movie, but you should probably change the name. Maybe just to "High Water".

86 Reviews

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:07 am
View Likes
scribbleinks says...

Hell or High Water has been a placeholder name for a while, and I still haven't decided whether I'll keep it or used a different one. If I was changing it, it'd be something different because it was intentionally directed at the meaning of the phrase 'Hell or High Water', and High Water just wouldn't have the same meaning? I hope that makes sense.

I'm not too concerned about titles right now, so I have plenty of time to ponder over it. I also have a list of other names, but like I said, I needed something other than 'that pirate story I'm working on' :)

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
— Mark Twain