Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Creativity Corner » Fiction Discussion

What Do You Look For in a Main Character?

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am
Horisun says...

Well, first off, the character needs to be likable, they don't need to be perfect. But I've read books where halfway, I kinda just stopped rooting for them, and by the end, I didn't care at all.
Second, the character needs to have personality, my strategy to keep them from becoming one dimensional is to take one of two of my own qualities and build on them. For example, one of my protagonists has corny humor and is optimistic, but I give him some of his own qualities, like he's more extroverted then I am, and his flaws are that he doesn't know when it's not a good time to make a joke.I
Third, this goes with all charecters, they have to be unique, I'm not interested in a character who's dull. If this characters in a book, especially if their a protagonist or antagonist, I'll put the book down.
Finally, this is just a prefrance, but I enjoy books more when a protagonist is active and are out there fighting instead of hiding in their castle until the bad guy kicks down the door and says, "your a passive character in this story, main character"

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:02 pm
EditorAndPerks says...

Someone that cares for another person, thing, creature, anything else other than themselves. This is how I really like people that care for wild animals, or will pick a stranger off the street and give them some help, even if they're not a good person to others, or they have a sticky backstory.

I also tend to like characters that learn over time about their actions being bad or opening their eyes to what is really going on. I can relate to people being naive and not seeing the truth until they're smacked right in the face with it, especially in silly romance novels or in a lot more gritty, realistic fiction ones.
The only thing we're allowed to do is to believe that we won't regret the choice we made.
- Levi Ackerman

Castle Grounds Consultant

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 am
queenofscience says...

I LOVE sweet "cinnamon roll" characters. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

I feel like it makes for a more impactfull story when the main charcter gets hurt really bad (whatever this may look like) by the villen, and the main character is so sweet an trusting. It makes me feel for them more.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 am
View Likes
tgham99 says...

For me, it's really important for the main character not to be a Mary Sue type and to not be overly kind or naive. I have no idea if this will make sense but I prefer it when my main characters have some flaws/problematic aspects to their personality, because it makes the story far more interesting for me to read IMO. It's hard to get me to root for a character that has very little dimension to them; in all the stories and books I've read, I've resonated the most with characters that aren't perfect (or close to it, tbh).
"Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'" -- Jef Mallett

♡ ♡ ♡

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:23 am
Kazumi says...

So long as he acts logically given the rules of his own psychology and the mechanics of the story's natural world, I'll be very pleased with it. It makes a character even deeper.
top kek

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:17 am
AlyTheBookworm says...

I've always been fascinated by saints and martyrs. So, likely as a result of this, I'm a huge sucker for tragic heroes who are deeply flawed but idealistic, virtuous, strong, and would sacrifice themselves to save other people/the world.

I also love when protagonists have zero ambitions and want nothing more than to live a peaceful life and avoid conflict, but are forced by their morals to reluctantly take up the role of the leader because no one else will.

Humble, honest, self-deprecating, compassionate, and emotionally vulnerable heroes are amazing. Also, my favorite characters have a habit of dying, becoming disabled, not getting the girl/guy, and/or not getting their happy endings in some shape or form because they make some kind of sacrifice at the end of the book/movie/show.

Some examples are Fitzchivalry from the Farseer Trilogy, Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files, Kaladin Stormblessed from the Stormlight Archive, Vin from the Mistborn Trilogy, and Edward Elric from the first Fullmetal Alchemist show.

They're all such woobies. Their stories break my heart and I love them so much for it.

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren