Young Writers Society

Welcome to Night Vale

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Welcome to Night Vale

This is a very different idea for a storybook, based on the podcast series Welcome to Night Vale. The idea of Night Vale is a radio station for a small town in the desert. It seems normal, but slowly you notice strange things about the town. For instance, in episode 1, the radio host, Cecil, says something along the lines of “Night Vale is proud to be announcing the opening of a new dog park. We remind citizens that dogs should not go to the dog park. People should not go to the dog park. And definitely do not approach the hooded figures in the dog park.” As you can see, Night Vale can be strange.

How This Storybook Will Work

This storybook will have no character creation. Everyone will be Cecil. You will all post as Cecil. Now, the way posting will work is as follows:
Night Vale splits the broadcast into segments. It often goes topic, then new topic, occasionally continue old topic, new topic, etc. Every post will be a segment. They should be about a paragraph long and should be something like this- “Recently, things have begun to disappear. These things range from swing sets in backyards to young children. We do not know what is causing these disappearances, or why. If you are a victim of these strange occurrences which are most likely figments of our imagination, report to the town hall for replacements of whatever you lost.”
Remember to make them strange! Really strange!

Rules for Joining

As far as rules go, this storybook will be rather lenient.
1. You do not need to have listened to the Welcome to Night Vale podcasts (But I highly encourage you to, they are amazing and can be listened to for free on YouTube), but if you haven’t heard any, read other people’s posts before posting. That way you can get a feel for it.
2. Have fun and enjoy!
3. Yeah, that’s all the rules. Now, why don’t you join?

176 Reviews

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:33 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

The moon appears rounder tonight. Maybe it is because of the bloodcurdling screams from the MacDonald's home filling the air. Welcome to Night Vale.
Intro Plays

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Attention, all Eternal Boyscouts: There will be a meeting held in the dog park at twelve pm tonight. You are advised not to attend, as entering the dog park is against regulations. The meeting will consist of your badges being handed out. The badges being distributed are: Nightgaunt Taming, Scream-silencing, Combat Training, and Arts and Crafts. Congratulations, boyscouts!
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

And now, the weather.

Can someone give me the answer
To my question
Where's my soul?

It's like a virus in my body while I'm dreaming
When I wake up all that's left of me are bones
I'm in a panic! Get out hurry
Oh there are mysteries and many miseries

Dead or alive, I'm on the brink of self-destruction
As I'm roaming from left to right to hell
An invitation to come disappear
We're dancing one, two, three steps on this dark stage

Raise your flag
March on fight
Break your mask and show some pride
While this war just sends a shiver down my crooked spine

Wars and swords tears and blood
Feel my heart begin to race
As I laugh in this bloodbath we made

Can someone give me the answer
To my question
Where's my soul?
Where's my heart?
Am I losing my own self

Don't you hesitate
Go this way
I don't know
And I don't care
Tell me are you not entertained now?

I'll just keep surviving
I just cannot hide it all

I am not to fall a victim
I'll continue living in this
Misery driven world
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

176 Reviews

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:00 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

The Sheriff's Secret Police would to put out the following notice:
If you believe you saw a satanic, red eyed child sitting on your front lawn staring at the window farthest to the left of your house, we assure you that you did not.
If you believe you saw hooded men encircling a black stone on your porch, we assure you that you did not.
If you believe you saw writing reading "Death" in a suspicious red liquid on your bathroom wall, we assure you that you did not.
Do not worry. This problem which we assure does not exist will be solved soon. Please remain patient.

112 Reviews

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Citizens of Night Vale, it has been brought to my attention that there will be a--no, there will not be a bonfire in the square tomorrow night. If you see or smell signs of smoke or burning flesh it is strongly recommended that you ignore it. If you hear any screaming, please take a moment to insert the earplugs found in the bottom left drawer of your dresser and go to bed with the curtains drawn.
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

176 Reviews

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:12 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

And now for today's Main Story- A portal has opened right here in the studio, and as of right now some strange items have been launched out at estimated mach two. These include but are not limited to a faucet, like the kind on your sink, an adult male pig, ten gallons of orange juice in a pink jug, and iron bullets used to load a pistol. More on this story as it comes.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:27 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

As confirmed earlier this evening by crews on the scene repeatedly mapping the roadway, the city's infrastructure project to reshape the northern route into what we believe was originally to be the word 'Mom' in some gesture for Mother's Day resulted, due to budget cuts, as the word "no." A single flower has since been planted in the center of the O. It is quite a lovely flower.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

176 Reviews

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:33 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

And now a word from our sponsors: "Fear is dark. Fear is cold. Fear tastes like unripened peaches and sounds suspicously like a russian accent. When fear seems overwhelming, remember that it is, and that you are thinking too much. You are safe. We are everything. StrexCorp Synernists."
Last edited by sheysse on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

112 Reviews

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

In further news, there have been sightings of bipedal goats over the past few days. The Secret Police state that they are not quite sure what the goats want, but when one of the officers was killed in an attempt at diplomacy both sides retreated. Further updates on the story as it progresses.

she/her

745 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:09 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Tonight, local Edith Hamilton has made a lovely spaghetti dinner for two. I'm unsure for whom the second helping of spaghetti is for, but as a courtesy, please do not walk near her house during the night for investigative research. This is not reverse psychology. I am not sweating.

I like spaghetti with hand-made bread sticks.
-Shinji Moon

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:54 pm
View Likes
deleted868 says...

Attention all Citizens of Night Vale: although it is not affirmed yet by the police, you should stay indoors tonight, due to a concert scheduled at 10 p.m. The band is feared to be not from this world, and if anyone even hears a second of their songs, the police say to expect the worst possible outcome. Also, if any suspicious people knock on your door to speak to you, you have the police's permission to fully ignore all passerby. Who knows what speaking to them could do to you. Stay safe and indoors citizens!
Hey! I hope your day's been swell, and if not, there's always time for it to get better. See ya!

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:24 pm
View Likes
Pentavalence says...

An update on the portal: It has turned green and started spewing lava. Well, not green exactly. Sort of...teal-ish. Maybe turquoise? I don't know. Anyway listeners, if any of you have tips on ethereal portal removal they would be greatly appreciated. Just send them to the studio! Address letters to: Cecil Palmer, Nightvale Community Radio, [static plays], Nightvale, [farm animals snorting], [tires skidding, followed by more static], USA.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

It's a Dog Day Afternoon, Nightvale, and you know what that means! Our featured specimen of the day is from the top-of-the-line bowels of a German Shepard raised all her life here in town. Her name, I'm told, is Rigatoni. That would be the dog, for clarity, and not the stool we are analyzing.

Rigatoni's spotlight specimen, however, is quite the treat, and features such amenities as heated seats and cup holders. However, I have been advised by Rigatoni's owner that this may be a poor life choice. It's nearly inspiring, listeners, the sight of today's specimen, and I feel compelled to write free-verse poetry on the subject. Something witty, like Rigatoni's Rigatoni. I'm sure he would smile at the name.

That's been today's Dog Day Afternoon.
-Shinji Moon

112 Reviews

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:44 am
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Listeners. Listeners, there is a man in a tan jacket behind me. And....and he has a suitcase that sounds....like it's buzzing?
Listeners, he is walking closer. I can't quite....distinguish his features, but I think--
*new, dark, unfathomable voice takes over*
Weather break, listeners.

she/her

"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu