z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback [2]

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 pm
View Likes
Wolfi says...

@scribbleinks I picture a pair of eyes, deep and watery, sparkling with navy blues, purples, and blacks. I'd anticipate science fiction. Maybe even romance, if the description enamored is an exaggeration. Alternatively, someone with starry eyes could be a magical or alien creature with special sparkling eyes, or simply be someone with their chin tipped skyward during the night.

---

The Blind Mule
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:12 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

It brings to mind fables, especially Aesops, and makes me a little hesitant because depending on its genre I'll wonder what it's trying to teach me/force me to learn. I'm not a fan of message works, in and of themselves, so I'd probably hesitate from reading something with a moralistic-sounding title. However, depending on the genre and blurb, the title itself could have a handful of double-meanings and could be clever enough to get me to check it out.

- - -

Loyal Dogs
stay off the faerie paths

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:17 am
View Likes
Hattable says...

Good boysss!!

I dunno what genre this conjures to me. Could be fantasy, but that doesn't really feel right. Something contemporary, maybe? Or possibly urban fantasy? Or CRIME FICTION. It could be anything, and at the same time it doesn't feel like it solidly conforms to any one genre. It leaves me in the dark.

Some stories pull me in based solely on the title, but if I saw this at a bookstore, I'd need a really intriguing synopsis to get me to open it.

- - -

Bloodletting
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:15 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

@Hattable Dark fantasy, possibly vampires, possibly evil witches, but there is forbidden magic involving blood and releasing it. Option 2 is it's a medical-based historical fiction about Europe's medical practice of blood letting to cure every ill under the sun.

---

Turning Tricks
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

@Rosendorn: I like the sort-of alliteration of T's. The title makes me think of something speculative like maybe poltergeists/sprites, or maybe some kind of mystery/thriller. I think I might pick it up because it makes me wonder, "How can you turn tricks?"

---

Prison of Thorns
always daydreaming, always clumsy

425 Reviews

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:30 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

It sounds kind of like you pulled from a list of cool nouns. I'm interested, vaguely, in what it could be about but all it tells me is that this is probably fantasy or at least alternate-world historical fiction, it has something to do with plants -- maybe a Sleeping Beauty retelling? It's really hard to place, and without the context of the story, it's hard to give it a real tone. Sounds kind of dark and gloomy.

- - -

A Son of Gehenna

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:58 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

The Antichrist?

But that would mainly be based upon a modern interpretation of child + hell.

I know I heard Gehenna before in reference to hell/afterworld. So the first thing that comes to mind after my other out there comment, is it's going to be something that the reader really has to think about. And it will be be

Genre wise, I'd guess that it was fantasy. Perhaps religion based just on the context of Gehenna. Or maybe still magic?

The story sounds like it would either be dark and twisted, or a "they're misunderstood" sort of tale. One of those two comes to mind in this case.

I wish I could give more feedback but that's all I can think of at the moment?

---

Our Lady of Fire

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 am
Lightsong says...

A bit typical, I'm afraid, what's with the magical aspects of elements influencing fantasy genre, and the fact that someone has to be a master/mistress to one element. While the title can come across as being literal, I do think there's a deeper meaning to this or perhaps a reference to something else (maybe something concerncing history)? All in all, as a title, it doesn't catch my attention that much, but it might be able to attract fantasy novel's fans.

--

Quasar Magica Academy: Mystery of the Dead
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

766 Reviews

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Brigadier says...

Any title that's followed by a secondary title description, tends to worry me? It sounds like it's probably a series of some sort but the two titles don't really connect.
It also sounds to be from a genre I don't particularly like, even though I've read some fics that in that style. Magic Academy? There's no way that it's not going to be some sort of fantasy sub genre.
The secondary description is also kinda cliche. So none of it does anything for me but it's probably because I'm missing a reference particular to that sub genre.

---

A Divine Grimalkin

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 pm
mellifera says...

It sounds as though it has possibility to be religion based, but the title doesn't give anything solid enough for me to pin a genre on it. I'll be honest, I didn't know what "Grimalkin" meant until I looked it up, so it wouldn't have held appeal to me if I saw it but that's more my lack of knowledge than title choice. Still, the title, to me, doesn't give away enough detail to form any sort of picture of what the story might be about. Personally, it doesn't hold much appeal for me.

---

Magic Sympathisers
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

It brings to mind the idea that magic is illegal or otherwise stigmatized. I probably wouldn't pick it up because, as a marginalized person, I don't really dig reading stories about having to fight society for your right to exist. But it could go heavy civil rights or it could go lighter urbanesque fantasy.

-

Mystery Spotters

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:50 pm
Tenyo says...

Sounds like a great title for a kids mystery novel. If I were looking for something with a decent amount of intrigue but still more light hearted than your average murder mystery then I'd go for it.

"The Seventh Raven"
We were born to be amazing.

766 Reviews

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:07 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I feel like it's probably going to be horror or magical based, simply because those are the two main things I see in connection for ravens. Or maybe both?
It sounds to be a connection type of book and maybe like a YA thing between friends/enemies. There's a lot of ways I see it going whoops.

-

Last Word of Wisdom

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:29 am
Mageheart says...

@LadyBird: Last Word of Wisdom reminds me of all the realistic fiction books that my mom's book club reads - which isn't a bad thing! It just strikes me as an adult sort of book, following someone going through a struggle in the middle of their life in what would ordinarily be a mundane setting but isn't due to whatever that struggle is.

---

The Underworld Trilogy: Asphodel
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

@Saen

The Underworld film series was a big thing when I was younger and it first came out, so my first thoughts are of vampires and werewolves. After googling 'asphodel' I'm guessing it's more something to do with the mythological underworld, like death or hades? Knowing what asphodel is makes the title sound much more interesting because of the connotations behind it, I think.

---

'What We Learn From Evil'
We were born to be amazing.

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan