Young Writers Society

Peculiarities: A fantasy storybook

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:58 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Miss Willow
When one of the children burst into her office, Miss Willow realized that something was wrong. The boy stuttered and tried to get something out.

"I-infimary, Miss Willow come!" Without asking any questions, she followed the boy to the infirmary where a crowd of children were gathered, whispering to each other.

"Excuse me, dear. Ah, pardon me. I am so sorry but will you please make way?" With some difficulty, they made it to the front of the crowd. There were several people on the ground, including Ollie, Raven, the two new ones, Nero, and María. Alix was standing

"What happened here?" demanded Miss Willow. Alix looked up and shrugged. Raven stood and tried to explain, but nothing came out of her mouth. One of the new ones, the boy who was holding onto the new girl, looked up at Miss Willow and started to explain the entire story.

After he was finished, Miss Willow looked at both Ollie and the new girl lying unconscious on the ground.

"It seems like this Natalie has a very extraordinary power. Her predicament seems dire, but it has an easy fix. Please bring her to my office and I shall help her. As for Ollie, we'll bring her to her bedroom. Please be careful with both of them, as they are both in a fragile state." She motioned to the boy follow her.

The threesome retreated back to her office. Miss Willow opened the door and motioned for the boy to bring Natalie in.

"Please lay her on the couch." The boy obeyed and sat down right next to her.

"Now, while I do this, why don't you tell me more about yourself," said Miss Willow, getting out her potion kit, "Talking to someone in a stressful situation may help you along."
Will Solace IRL

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:20 am
Mageheart says...

~Briar Cooper~

He didn't want to talk! He just wanted Nat to get better; then they could...Actually, he wasn't sure what they would do next. Living on the streets wasn't a great way to live, and Briar had realized some of the people living here were just as magical as Nat was. This could be a safe haven for them. It could become the home that Nat had always wished for since she had lost her parents.

But what would that mean for him?

Maintaining the illusion of him being human and her brother - both in the figurative and literal sense - was difficult. He hated having to hide who he was, and being out on the streets with only Nat didn't make him have to do that. But it wasn't his decision to make. She was the human, not him. Whatever she wanted, he would, though possibly reluctantly, agree to.

His gaze returned to Miss Willow. When she opened up her bag, he saw bottles full of different colored liquids. His stomach lurched; how could he trust her with Nat's life, when he didn't even recognize what she was about to use? He realized with defeat that he had no other options. Nat was sick and covered in burns. Miss Willow seemed to be the only person who could help her.

Where was he supposed to begin? He finally decided to slip himself into Nat's past; pretend that he had been there since she was only a baby. That was the easiest place to start. "Nat's two years younger than me," he lied. "I can't remember a time when she wasn't part of my life. The two of us were always really close. When I was eleven and she was only nine, our house was burned down while we were at school. Our parents were killed in the fire, and, since we had no one to live with, we were sent to a foster home. We ended up running away from it because we didn't like our parents, and we wanted to find out who killed our parents." He looked up at Miss Willow. "We've been living on the streets since then."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:36 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu says...

Washi

Washi jumped a bit when the boy came crashing in, warning Mrs. Willow about something in the infirmary, but she wasn't very surprised the wind had warned her after all. "Rooringaaru no nare no hate todokanai, mukou no iro." She sang softly until Mrs. Willow came back in with a boy and a girl.

"Please lay her on the couch." Mrs. Willow said to the boy. He did what he was asked and sat down. Mrs. Willow then proceeded to asked the boy about himself. Washi smiled a bit to herself as the boy told his story. Washi winced and touched her forehead lightly. Yami was reacting strongly to the prescience of this boy and his 'sister', Nat.

Washi stood up and walked over. "Is there anything I could do to help?" She asked quietly, concern clouding her gaze. Washi winced and tapped her forehead slightly again. "Settle down Yami..." She muttered under her breath as her charm flashed red and the tips of her toes turned black. The headache subsided and the charm returned to it's normal gold.

"I will not break out now, Washi," Yami whispered, her voice spreading across the room, "but dark is falling and you know better than to limit my freedom..." The dark fog that was beginning to arise around Washi subsided and the whispering stopped. Have I really lost track of time? She wondered glancing outside. Sure enough night was beginning to fall, and stars were starting to come out.
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:00 pm
View Likes
Lael says...

María Romero

It had seemed but a blur and all of a sudden there were many sick kids. María coughed once, but was starting to feel better. It probably would have been okay if she had just gone back to her room as planned.

But she hadn't. She glanced at Nero, the reason why she had come to the infirmary. He had asked her to come with him, and she had, strangely, willingly agreed to go.

She could almost admit to herself that she had been happy to be asked by this boy.

She hadn't realized that she was staring at him until he turned to meet her gaze, and blushed.

María felt her own face getting hot. He must be embarrassed by her staring. She knew better than to be rude, but . . .

"I, em . . . Are you feeling okay?" She hastily put on a smile. "I'm feeling better now. I think I'll just go back to my room. Do you . . . want to come? ¿Conmigo?"
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

69 Reviews

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:49 pm
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Alix
Alix watched the Spanish girl and the boy talked with narrowed eyes. Right now, she had a feeling of confusion so strong her gender changing abilities were changing at rapid fire speed. One minute she was female, the next she was male.

"Alix?" Alix turned to see Raven looking at her with worried eyes, "Alix are you okay?"

"Fine," Alix decided on her female form and she smiled, "I'm alright. You must be worried sick about Ollie, mustn't you?" Raven nodded, but she still looked uncertain.

"You only rapid fire switch when your angry," she said, "What made you angry?" Alix smiled at her and eld out a hand to help Raven up.

"Just hormones dear," she said, "It happens when you get older. Now, where do you want to go?" Raven took her hand and stood up.

"The gym," she said, "I want to practice." Alix smiled broadly and they started to walk off in the direction of the gym.

"As do I," she said, looking back at the two who were still talking. The crowd around the infirmary dissipated a little and it was easier to get through. Raven and Alix walked through many winding hallways until they reached the gym, a special, self repairing place to practice using your peculiarities. It was even allowed to duel, for the gym had a special healing aura that would let you not experience any pain or injury. It was a big pavilion with a glass roof and a dirt floor. Alix and Raven were the only ones in the gym at the moment and they spread out.

"Want to duel?" asked Raven. Alix nodded. Raven and she were dueling partners for as long as she could remember. They got into the proper dueling positions and two glowing circles appeared around them. The goal of the dueling was to knock the other person out of their circle. Each dueler took turns attacking and could leave their circle at any point during the attack. However, the opposite dueler could defend and each turn was thirty seconds, so once that was up, it was no longer your turn.

Raven summoned some sharp bones from the earth and shot them at Alix. She ducked and smiled.

"Come on, Raven dear, I've seen you do better." Raven stepped out of her circle and made a sharp jabbing motion upwards. Skeletal warriors rose from the earth and stumbled towards Alix. They were swift and armed but not too smart. The first one got the circle and swung it's sword at Alix, but she teleported last minute and ended up on the skeleton, crushing it beneath her weight. It fell, bones shattering and dropped it's sword. She picked it up and decapitated the next one. Alix's circle flared, signaling that it was her turn.

"Come at me Alix!" yelled Raven, "Give me your best shot!" Alix grinned and dashed out of her circle. A wall of bones and death came ripping towards her, but she appeared two feet out of it's way and kept running. She was determined to win this round. She tapped into Raven's mind and saw what she was going to do next.

Send three skeletons after me then hit me with a rock. And Raven did just that, summoning three skeleton warriors up from the earth. Alix stopped to face them and swung her sword. She could sense the rock drawing nearer and was prepared to teleport until she heard a shout from the gym door.

"STOP!" Alix turned to see who it was just when the rock slammed into her cranium.
Will Solace IRL

69 Reviews

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:48 am
View Likes
NympheaLily says...

Miss Willow
After everything with Natalie had been taken care of, Miss Willow stepped outside of her office for a quick moment. That one potion to bring Natalie back to health was a long and exhausting process but it was worth it. She decided to go outside for a little bit and clear her mind. She made her way to the back door and stepped out into the rain.

"H-hello?' A voice sounded from the wall beside her. She looked over and saw a boy, shivering and cold, sitting on the ground.

"My-my parents-"

"Speak no more," Miss Willow said, "And come inside." She held out a hand and helped the poor boy to his feet.

"What is your name?" she asked.

"Jake Harrison," he replied.
Will Solace IRL

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:29 am
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Jake Harrison

Jake had moved up to stairs to rest by the wall as the rain had really started coming down. Huddled up on the porch he was trembling almost violently as he tried to control himself. He felt on the verge of an ignition and he had to be good. If he could control it, his parents would come back.

He jumped a little as the door opened and a middle aged woman stepped out releasing a sigh into the air. "H-Hello?" he asked quietly. She turned to him rather surprised. "My-my parents-"

"Speak no more," she said quickly. "And come inside. What's your name?"

Jake took the offered hand as he stood up before quickly pulling his hand from hers. He didn't want to burn her by accident. She felt cold...that only meant that his skin was practically burning right now. "Jake Harrison," he said quietly.

He picked up his suitcase with both hands before he followed her inside. He looked around the foyer as she closed the door and motioned for him to follow. He tried to keep away from the walls. If he was too close he could ignite something.

He could feel the tension in the air. It only made him all the more nervous. "M...My parents. They'll come back," he said gently. More like he was convincing himself instead of telling her. "Just have to control....just have to control." His voice got quieter and quieter as he chanted it over and over like a mantra.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:03 pm
Mageheart says...

~Arthur Faye~

People kept falling ill; he knew something was amiss, but he wasn't sure what. To add to it, there was the interesting situation regarding Briar Cooper. He should have been in his twenties by now, but he hadn't appeared to age a day since they had met so long ago. He knew Briar didn't recognize him. He, unlike the strange boy, had aged. He had grown taller than he had ever expected, and his once messy blond hair had become a somewhat neater light brown.

As long as Briar didn't learn his name, he would never be any the wiser.

Who was he supposed to tell, though? Despite wanting to be in a relationship with Alix, he wasn't particularly close to them. When he really thought about it, Arthur came to the realization that he wasn't close to anyone. The only other option would be Miss Willow or Raven, but Miss Willow was healing Nat and he had no idea where Raven was!

He groaned.

I'll go to the gym and run a couple of laps to get my mind off of things, he decided.
mage

queer and here.

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:46 pm
Lael says...

María Romero

Though María had been internally excited that Nero had agreed to leave the infirmary with her (he seemed to be feeling better at the moment too), she hadn't thought about the fact that the walk back to their rooms would be so awkwardly silent.

She glanced at the boy from the corner of her eye, in hopes of getting some sort of clue on what he was thinking. He didn't seem like the awfully quiet type, like she usually was.

"So." The word was out of her mouth before she even realized it. This time, Nero did look at her. "I, em . . . well . . ."

Bueno. Y ahora ¿qué va a pensar de ti?

To her relief, she saw Miss Willow leading a soaking wet boy in their direction. At least now Nero would probably forget her lack of words.

"Señorita Willow!" she said. She hadn't really gotten the chance to speak with the establishment's owner, and thank her for helping her escape her home situation, but maybe now was her chance.

"Hola. You must be María, correct?" The woman smiled, though her eyes were tired. "We have a lot to talk about, but how about we wait till tomorrow? We've all had quite a long day today."

"Sí," murmured María, ducking her head.

Miss Willow turned to Nero. "Hello, Nero. I'm glad to see that you're getting along well here. Oh, by the way," she turned to motion the wet boy forward. María noticed that he looked really nervous. "This is Jake. He just arrived, and needs a room. Why don't you two take him there? Here is the key--the room number is on it."

María nodded as Jake accepted the key. She smiled when he looked at her and Nero.

Perhaps it was a time for change, a time for her to be a friend too.

"This way," she said.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm
View Likes
KaiRyu says...

Washi

Nat would be okay. Those where Washi's thoughts as she went to sit back down. She pulled out her sketchbook and placed it on her lap, allowing the winds around it to dissipate. Washi reached up into her hair and slowly pulled out the sharpie and pencil that were braided there. She opened the sketchbook to the last drawing and started working on it. Uncapping the sharpie, she slowly, meticulously traced the outline of the drawing of the girl with long hair kneeling down, blindfolded and surrounded by scientists who were all holding tools of torture.

Washi suddenly cried out, her sharpie skidded across the page as she reached up to grasp her head. "Fine," she hissed from clenched teeth "you may have your freedom, as long as you remember the deal..." The migraine slowly subsided as her eyes turned solid gold and shadows started to surround her. Slowly the form of a 16 year old girl was created out of the shadows. "Welcome back, Yami." Washi whispered.

Yami

Yami's eyes flashed, "it's good to be back." She said stretching. She looked around, her eyes narrowing on Briar, recognizing something about him, then passing by him and back to Washi. "What have you gotten us into this time Washi?" Yami said, walking over to where Washi was still working on her drawing. "You know the rules about interaction."

Washi looked up from her drawing and closed her sketchbook. "They were chasing me, I was shot in the wing, no escape, this building was here. No choice." She stated flatly, her voice dropped into a whisper, "besides, these people are like us. I don't think they would make themselves known to them..."

Yami just raised one eyebrow and walked away, over to where Briar was. "Hello, who are you?" She asked, peering at him.
“So what? You're another person so of course you look different. What do you need to be ashamed for?” Ciel Phantomhive

"Reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram buy gold bye!" Bill Cipher

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 pm
Mageheart says...

~Briar Cooper~

"My name is Briar Cooper," he slowly replied. He recognized something about the girl; he was sure of it. He was also completely sure that she was a demon like he was. So who was she, and where did he know her from? The way that she held herself was the most recognizable trait, but he knew several demons that exuded the same confidence and power.

The girl looked him over. He felt as if he was being inspected under a microscope; the girl was also trying to determine what was so recognizable about him. "My name is Yami," the demon replied as she continued to take in every detail of him.

He stared. "Yami?" he repeated, his voice barely above a whisper. Suddenly, he understood who he was looking at. They had met many, many years ago - he had been less than a century year old. He was young but already broken by that point in time. The demon had been in service to a prisoner in the dungeon he had been forced to guard. Though both she and her summoner were imprisoned, they had become somewhat close. He eventually had "forgotten" to lock their cells, and the two had escaped.

He hadn't seen Yami since then.
mage

queer and here.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:09 am
View Likes
XxXTheSwordsmanXxX says...

Jake Harrison

Jake was completely quiet as he took the key. He quickly reached into his pocket and drew out the letter he was told to give the head of the house. Miss Willow took the letter and read it over, a sad look coming on her face. The letter detailed how the parents couldn't do it any more...how they didn't want Jake back, even if he got better with his problem. She folded the note and put it away before ushering Jake on.

"This way," the girl in front of him chimed. Her hand moving around his shoulders. Jake quickly jumped away from the girl's arm. He didn't want to see anyone else hurt by him. The girl that he had burned before still fresh in his mind. He eyes were wide with fear as he looked over her arm to make sure that she hadn't been burned. He knew that he must be burning up to her...there was already steam coming off of his clothing, drying them out.

Up the stairs he went, not saying a word. The girl, who Miss Willow said was Maria, tried to start a few conversations with him. But he didn't answer. At the room he looked to her and gave a fake half-smile, as if he were just fine. Opening the door he just left it standing for anyone to come in. He set his suitcase down at the foot of the bed, didn't even bother to unpack. Going to the window, he could see the road that his parents had taken to leave the home.

"They'll come back," he whispered softly. "I'll hide it and they'll come back." He had to believe it. He had to believe that he would see their headlights coming back over that ridge to take him home.

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor