z

Young Writers Society

If Wuthering Heights is Your Literary Muse Enter Here!

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:13 pm
klotrox16 says...

I'd love to know all of your thoughts on Wuthering Heights- whether it be casual, analytical, or what specifically about it that inspires you.

Personally, what I love about Wuthering Heights is that it is brutally realistic. It blows cliches out of the water. The characters are so intricately crafted that it's almost as if each of them were a mirror reflection to the inner depths of your soul. The story, meaning, symbolism, characters, and messages are so baffling and each person and literary critic points out different aspects to each- and this is what I love most about the book.

I believe there is no one point to Wuthering Heights. I believe it reflects reality as honestly as possible in a way that could never be obsolete. It defies the patterns we so desperately try to conform life to in order to make sense of the world and that is what confuses everyone. The characters' thoughts and actions, motives and intentions- there's no one encapsulating or rational explanation to any of them- and that's the truth to human nature. And it's nothing anyone wants to admit because it's so much easier to keep the hope alive that X does Y because of Z and A leads up to B to create C and E belongs with F but doesn't realize it until G but they end up together in the end because they just have to and that's where the story must end.

This book both destroys and restores faith in humanity in the most convoluted and multifaceted way possible. That is what makes it worthy a construct all aspiring writers should draw inspiration from.

Now, your thoughts.
In memory of 1411

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I love Wuthering Heights because the characters are all so hateable that I adore them. xD

What you say about it being a super multifaceted novel is so true! There are zillions of books and essays written about just this one novel, and all the things going on in it. There's always something else to consider!

I think what I really adore, though, is the narrative lens. We have this idiot Lockwood who you just have to deplore cause he has no idea what's going on and is just completely full of himself, and he's the one who gets to tell this story. And because this idiot is so delusional the reader is led to believe the story he's retelling from Nelly because we so desperately want to be as different from Lockwood as possible. And so we believe the ghosts and all that nonsense because Lockwood doesn't, and we try to understand these people because Lockwood has no interest in actually doing anything like that. It's great!
Got YWS?

The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb