z

Young Writers Society

How does magic come about

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:36 am
OrionX says...

I'd like to open this discussion about magic. Is it necessary for a fantasy story to explain where the magic came from?

Let's say magic is inherited through birth (bloodline). At some point in history there had to be someone who obtained magic in order to pass it down on it's children, right? Does a thing like that need a reasonable explanation or can a story suffice by stating/assuming magic just exists?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:35 am
Rosendorn says...

Either or.

I don't remember reading very many stories that explain where magic comes from. Many times, it's just there. There are a few words spared to how it's learned, and the power level, but nobody really sits the reader down and says "a long time ago in a galaxy far away..."

Whatever works for your story is what you should do.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 pm
Rubric says...

It's also worth noting that the more detail that goes into the explanations, the more troublesome they can become (the explanation for the Force and midichlorians in Star Wars episode 1 is a great example).

Harry Potter is a good example of the alternative. Some people are witches and wizards. It generally follows bloodlines, but then you get muggleborns a squibs (a great opportunity for class tensions).

Ideally you have some idea about where the magic comes from, because you want to have a consistent approach (lest it be seen as an arbitrary plot device) but it should only be fleshed out in your writing where it is necessary, or where it actually improves the story by being there.
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:00 am
JohnLocke1 says...

I think the specific origin of magic does not need to be explained. I have read a few books where they attempt to explain the overall "birth" of magic, but I find this wholly unnecessary. You do not need to explain why magic appears in your world. However, you do need to explain the exact vehicle of the magic. How is it used? Do humans have magic, or do they draw there magic from another source? Establish rules for your magic so that it does not become unrealistic. Yes, magic must be realistic. However, overly powerful characters become far too annoying.
"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes." - John Locke

u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper