z

Young Writers Society

Real Literature

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 pm
pensword says...

Literature is a highly debated topic, and its worth is ultimately a matter of opinion - like fine art. What do you consider to be the qualifications for real literature, and what would an example be?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:47 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Well, I know that most "literature" is also categorized under the "literary fiction" genre. This has come to suggest a heavily character-driven work that often lacks your typical plot structure (i.e. not much "action" occurs) and tends to focus on heavier themes such as family, life, love, etc. There also tends to be a higher quality of writing in literary fiction, with heavy use of literary language techniques. In many circles, there is no place for "genre" work in literature.

Of course, this is what the academics want us to think. I personally would like to see more "literature" that is plot-driven as well as well written (there is actually loads of it already in existence - just look at H.G. Wells - but I think it's harder for genre writers to prove their work as literary because it often has an actual plot where things happen other than metaphysical reasonings).
Got YWS?

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:20 pm
Empress says...

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The War of the Worlds by HG Wells
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
1984 by George Orwell
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

So I guess the common denominator here is quality of writing, originality and power of ideas, and their legacies.
:D :D :D

'Hush, hush!' I whispered; 'people can have many cousins and of all sorts, Miss Cathy, without being any the worse for it; only they needn't keep their company, if they be disagreeable and bad.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights