z

Young Writers Society

New form of media: World-Based Fiction

Reviews: 0
Sat May 25, 2013 5:55 pm
mortimermcmirestinks says...

I have had an idea for a new form of media.

Think of it this way: it's a bit like Fanfiction.net, if the Fanfiction was on the Silmarillion. You could also say it's a bit like a cross between Fanfiction.net and Storybooks here.

It would be online.

Person A starts it: they write not a story, but a world. They write a description of a world to set stories in, with descriptions of races, languages, histories, countries, level of technology, the way magic works if it exists, et cetera. This is important: they don't write a story. They write a world. Imagine the first post of a Storybook, but without the plot; just the world description (and more detail).

Then other people can read this description and write a story set in this world, so they don't have to hammer out the details of the world themselves but can still write a story. Like Storybooks, only instead of people collaborating on writing one story, everyone writes their own story based on the world that Person A invented.

If Person A's world gets popular enough, there would end up being an entire archive of stories set in the same world featuring different characters and stories, like the Discworld series, but with different authors.

It's for two kinds of people: first of all, people like myself who like writing worlds with races, languages, histories, et cetera, but have a hard time writing actual stories, and secondly, people who like writing stories based on pre-existing worlds, and don't want to have to be Tolkien and figure it all out themselves, but feel that writing based on pre-existing stories and characters (i.e. fanfiction) is too confining.

...how does that sound?
Normal is boring. My deviantART acount isn't!

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat May 25, 2013 11:14 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Kinda interesting to me. I like the idea of many authors writing about one world. And yeah, the first thing on my mind too is Discworld :D It's kinda like a Storybook but at the same time not like a storybook. Well, I dunno if it'll be up, though, but you can start doing it with your friends in YWS!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost