z

Young Writers Society

What's in a name . . . ?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri May 24, 2013 5:37 am
Catnip says...

Hi,
I've been marvelling this story around in my head for several years now, and I've finished it's outline and I'm now working on the first draft (yay for me ^-^). My starlit protagonist's name was Piper Herminosity.
Then it was Fairvine.
Then I think it was iris.
Then for the longest stretch of time it was Clarabelle Herminosity.
Now it's Sophia Loveridge.

Sophia Loveridge.

Take that name in for a second. Let it soak into your mind. Repeat it in your head a few times. Say it out loud if you feel the need. Just absorb it for a second.

What do you think? Rememberable? Decent?
My question is this, what value do you personally hold in a characters name. Do you think it should have a reason behind it (a backstory almost). Should it relate to the characters personality, should you know the meaning behind the name's origin, or should it be relevant to the time period?
Or do you think anything goes, as long as the author likes it?
What is the purpose of names, and how do you go about choosing one?

Additionally, what do you guys think of Sophia Loveridge? what type of girl comes into your head when you hear that name, and what mental image does it put off, what vibes?

Sorry for the burden, love ya all, and thanks a million to anyone who replies ^-^

Catnip~
Until one has loved an animal,
a part of one’s soul remains unawakened. – Anatole France

https://www.facebook.com/kristychan.ove ... ef=tn_tnmn

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 pm
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Midear, sorry to say but when I try to soak it all in, the only thing that springs from my mind is Luna Lovegood, which somehow shares a lot with the name.

When considering a name, think of something crazy or strange, yet beautiful, so that it can be remembered by readers. Sophia is kinda common. Loveridge is quite interesting, though. Clarabelle Loveridge is better, in my opinion. :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind