z

Young Writers Society

Tennessee terrain

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 pm
Crimson11Delight says...

My story takes place in the middle of nowhere in western Tennessee (like along the Mississippi River), I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of the environment there? Like what sort of trees grow there, animals you might meet that sort of thing. I can only get so much from Google and some first-hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:57 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Well first of all, keep in mind that the Mississippi River runs pretty much along the western border of the state, so if you're thinking of being right on the banks it might do to investigate Arkansas, Missouri, and even Kentucky depending on which end of the state you're thinking of.

The landscape is mostly hilly, but not mountainous (unless you decide you want to flip to the eastern side of the state) and would likely be mostly forested or farm land. With the exception of Memphis (which is right along the river at the southwestern end of the state), most of that area would probably be rural. As far as animals you might find domesticated farm animals (cows, horses, etc), and for wildlife things like deer and squirrels would probably be most seen but you could probably also run across things like bobcats or coyotes in the right place (this is me simply assuming, considering you can find those kinds of animals in Ohio, where I'm from, and it's a similar part of the country).

I wouldn't worry too much about being super geographically correct when you're writing. So long as you're not describing sweeping mountaintops along the Mississippi, generalizations that match the midwest as a whole could probably work just find for your purposes.
Got YWS?

I think I have thankfully avoided being quoted.
— Lavvie