z

Young Writers Society

Social Media As Fiction

Reviews: 4
Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am
TheSparrowsAnd says...

Hey guys!

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the potential for using social media (more along the lines of Twitter or Facebook, not so much Tumblr or Wordpress) as a platform for creative writing. What I mean, I guess, is do you think it's a good medium for things like characterisation or some semblance of plot?

See, I'm trying to do this thing (I'm not going to post a link because I don't want this to read like a shameless plug for followers) that was initially inspired by MayorEmanuel (https://twitter.com/MayorEmanuel) (note: that link contains very strong language) which was someone posing as Rahm Emanuel during his campaign for Mayor of Chicago. The feed contains about 2000 tweets over a period of months, and was eventually published as a book. Anyway, I think it's one of the most hilariously well-written things I've ever read. It has characters (the candidate, the ghost of Mayor Daley, David Axelrod, Carl the Intern, a duck named Quaxelrod and a dog named Hambone) and a plot involving time vortexes and infinite Chicagos with infinite Rahm Emanuels. It's also brilliant satire that works on a number of levels.

So anyway, I thought I'd give it a try. Mine is set in an Australian context and isn't an impersonation of a public figure. Instead it's basically a character I've invented. It's discouraging without many followers, but I think the medium has great potential for creating characters and telling stories. Has anyone else ever tried/thought of this? Does anyone think it doesn't count as a valid form of literature? Any thoughts at all?
When we arrive, sons and daughters...

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:31 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Twitter would be a really interesting platform for that sort of thing, especially since the form is so constrained it would really inspire something unique. It'd have to be an entertaining and enjoyable character, though, to gain any following (or a popular character from your own fictional work that gained popularity, if you're fortunate enough for that).

Facebook, though, I don't recommend. Facebook (basically) owns the rights to everything posted on the site so I would avoid putting your creative work up there. Especially if you want to try to get it published someday.
Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 pm
ah1705 says...

Twitter is perfect to create a new persona. I did it last summer and throughout the school year. I never gave my name away but my friends figured out who I was because I had a lot of them follow me. The majority of the ones I followed were about being in a fraternity or sorority. They're called anon accounts and I gave it up for a lot of reasons, one being that people hit on you and it was a temporary fix for dealing with people. If you have any questions about it, I can help!
We are still masters of our fates. We are still captains of our souls. -Winston Churchill

Live without pretending.
Love without depending.
Listen without defending.
Speak without offending.

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien