z

Young Writers Society

why would someone be obsessed with the 1920's?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 am
AylaStarr says...

Like, what reasons could motivate that?

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 am
LadyPurple says...

(This will be a bunch of mashed up facts so...sorry....I love history! This is, however, if you're American. Not sure about anywhere else.)
A lot of things. It wasn't called the "Roaring Twenties" for nothing. Even though alcohol was prohibited it was still sold by shady people like Al Capone.
Maybe it was the excitment of speakeasies.
People were buying all kinds of things they wanted (even though this did end badly after the 20s). Also, for women, we could vote! 1919 was the year we got that. The 19th amendment!
And the flappers. Women were getting some freedom and broke tradition by dressing in a more *aheam* untraditional way, drank, stayed single longer, partied, etc.
But, unfortunately, after the Roaring Twenties came the depression. Mainly because of all the buying done in the 20s with credit. Just comes to show that plastic can get you in to trouble.
Last edited by LadyPurple on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:48 am
AmourDevorant says...

Watch the movie Midnight in Paris :D It's about a man whose idealized time period is the 20s, in Paris. He visits the city and every night at midnight this taxi comes and takes him back in time, and EVERYONE is in that movie.

So many iconic artists lived and produced in that time period. So many personalities bumping into one another. As for your average joe, it could be an obsession with Old Hollywood, fashion, politics. What is your character's passion?
忍ぶれど色にいでにけりわが恋はものや思ふと人の問ふまで
― 平兼盛

“If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray,
remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.”
― Kvothe, in The Name of the Wind

What were the use of my creation if I were entirely contained here?

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:09 am
RSwordsman says...

For the writers! Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, and a ton of others. Maybe your character is enamored with the glamorous, freewheeling life of the expatriate author community?

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman