z

Young Writers Society

What are you reading?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu May 09, 2019 2:54 pm
RandomVanGloboii says...

DragonWriter22 wrote:I'm currently rereading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's every bit as amazing as I remembered it so far.

I also recently finished reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It was entirely awesome!

I remember trying to start reading Tolkien by beginning with the Silmarillion. A very bad idea XD now that I read his two most important works I should give another try though

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:07 am
Ventomology says...

I read an excellent book called Kill the Farm Boy recently. (well, I listened to it. the narrator was very good) It's... maybe 16+ because of the vulgar humor, but it's funny, and the story is surprisingly well put together, for all that it's weird.

Also there are memes in this book.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 am
View Likes
tgham99 says...

I'm currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I feel like I'm super late to the game because it's been on the bestseller's list for weeks and I'm just now getting a copy of it from my public library!! So far it's okay, but it's kind of slow to start; I'm waiting to be wowed by something in the story so fingers crossed..
"Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'" -- Jef Mallett

♡ ♡ ♡

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:30 am
IamI says...

I’m reading ‘Lord Jim’ by Joseph Conrad and ‘The Sun Also Rises’ by Ernest Hemingway. Lord Jim is a bit hard to read, mostly because of all the commas. The Sun Also Rises is actually pretty easy as far as style goes, though if you like your books to feel like they have an endpoint in mind from the beginning I wouldn’t really recommend it, I’m almost to the end and it has just begun to feel like there is actually a plot.

Edit: I finished the sun also rises, not much happened, but a very easy read, I am now reading lord Jim and 'for whom the bell tolls'.
-_-

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:10 pm
cpena says...

I'm halfway through Wendelin van Draanen's Flipped. My girlfriend gave it to me on my birthday she said I might learn something from it. I dont know what she means though. I just wished she gave me a hardcover copy because I accidentally bend the cover.
Last edited by cpena on Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:07 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Currently reading The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien! I’m finally getting around to reading all the books in the series and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t yet.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:48 pm
View Likes
queenofscience says...

Has anyone here read 'A Wrinkle in Time?'

What did you think of it?
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:04 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

@queenofscience - I read it. It was very confusing and the movie didn't help clear anything up.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:29 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@queenofscience, I think I read it before, but it was a long time ago.

Right now, I'm reading Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl again. I technically haven't started it yet, but it's in my backpack. I've already read it several times over the past few years - it meant a lot to me when I was just getting into writing fanfiction, and something tells me it'll be just as meaningful now that I'm a college student.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 pm
View Likes
queenofscience says...

Never read Fangirl. I'v heard of it, though.

I'll have to read A Wrinkle in Time again so I can comprehend it. When I read, I like to pay attenton to characters and plots. Basicaly, I want to get eveything I can out of a book.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:03 am
alliyah says...

@queenofscience that is one of my favorite books by my favorite author! It's a bit like Chronicles of Narnia in that you have to read it a bit allegorically sometimes to catch the greater meaning, but there are some fabulous spiritual and philosophical themes in there, and it's just a beautiful story. I thought the movie was a fantastical addition, but they did miss a couple very essential parts from the book.

I very much recommend the rest of the Time Quintet that goes with A Wrinkle in Time too - it's just an excellent series. And if you'd like to read a coming-of-age novel that isn't fantasy based by L'Engle I highly suggest her novel "A Small Rain" which is in the running for my favorite book I've ever read. It's longer than a Wrinkle in Time, but is more straight forward, no magic, and the characterization is just absolutely beautiful.
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:52 am
PrincessInk says...

I'm reading Stars Above by Marissa Meyer. I like it - it's a collection of shorts set in The Lunar Chronicles universe, aka perfect fodder for fans like me - but I also feel like the shorts are more like snippets to satisfy aforementioned fans and not really self-contained stories. I'm in the last story though and it's making me giggle and feel bubbly with happiness so I think that's SUCH a good thing!
always daydreaming, always clumsy

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 pm
Necromancer14 says...

RandomVanGloboii wrote:
DragonWriter22 wrote:I'm currently rereading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's every bit as amazing as I remembered it so far.

I also recently finished reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It was entirely awesome!

I remember trying to start reading Tolkien by beginning with the Silmarillion. A very bad idea XD now that I read his two most important works I should give another try though

I loved the Silmarillion, I read it three times. Once you get past the first few dozen pages, it gets a bit more fast paced.

I'm not currently reading anything right now, but I'm about to read a Bronte sisters book for school.
Dumbledore: "Now, it's great that you've been saving the school and all Harry, but unfortunately your grades have been a tad low, and, well... perhaps Gandalf could explain it better... hit it, Gandalf!

Gandalf: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 pm
View Likes
WinnyWriter says...

Okay, so nobody judge me for reading something that has a target age range that's probably below me a bit, but I'm currently reading the Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shannon Messenger. :) It's pretty cool.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:58 am
AlyTheBookworm says...

I recently finished a YA horror/urban fantasy book called Not Even Bones and started reading the sequel after discovering it through a comic based on the book. It has a really dark, bizarre story that intrigued me when I first read about the premise. The "protagonist" is a morally-grey antihero, a girl named Nita who's forced to be an accomplice in dissecting and selling the bodies of her mother's murder victims on the black market.

So.. Yeah, that didn't really sound like my cup of tea, lol. Especially as I gravitate towards more idealistic, virtuous heroes and have never been especially interested in the horror genre.

But, surprisingly, I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. I've never read another book that simultaneously made me hate the main characters' questionable moral codes and choices while still being fascinated by them and finding them oddly likeable. The characters are, by far, the best part of this book, and the story was gripping enough that I binge-read all 384 pages in just a day and had a hard time putting it down.

It's a story that's told from the perspective of "heroes" who could easily be the villains of any other story, though they're humanized and painted in a sympathetic light as they try to hold on to their morals in a harsh environment. I'm curious to find out whether they succeed and redeem themselves or keep going down a darker path in the sequel.

..And whoops. I think I accidentally wrote a review.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin