z

Young Writers Society

What are you reading?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:22 pm
sinistercutlass says...

Eh, I liked the Hunger Games. Mockingjay was the best book, in my opinion.

But far more interesting is what I'm reading now: the sci-fi classic "Dune"!

The 1965 novel is split into three sections: "Dune", "Muad'Dib", and "Prophet", and I just finished the first section. I'm watching the film and TV adaptations as I go along, pausing before each new section.

This is seriously one of the best books I've read in my life, and it seems incredible that there's never been a definitive, critically embraced film adaptation. I hope that within my lifetime, some filmmaker gets it right. In the meantime, I intend to enjoy the gloriously strange visuals and beautiful Maurice Jarre-esque music for David Lynch's "Dune"... and the fascinating actor Karel Dobry as Doctor Kynes in the 2000 BBC miniseries.

Reviews: 0
Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:04 pm
ShadowedHeart178 says...

I'm currently rereading The Sweep series by Cate Tiernan. :) I absolutely love the series and it's been a while since I've actually read it. It's a series that always inspires me to write and I've had a bit of writers block lately so I really need the inspiration.
If a story is in you, it has to come out.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:57 pm
SparklyBerry9828 says...

I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and I'm really enjoying it, it is absolutely fantastic.

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:14 am
steampowered says...

Currently about to re-read Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:58 am
DragonWriter22 says...

I'm currently rereading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's every bit as amazing as I remembered it so far.

I also recently finished reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It was entirely awesome!
No. For the last time, I don't write on dragons!

I am the Night Rider! Wait, I mean the Night Writer! Ah, no. Well, I do write at night, but... I am the Knight Writer of the Green Room! There we go. :D

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:28 pm
AnarchyWolf says...

I'm reading Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's as good as I hoped it would be. I just finished reading No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai, and What I was by Meg Rosoff.
Don't resist the water. Welcome it.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:06 am
ardentlyThieving says...

Just finished "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy, and am hoping to read the rest of the series. It's pretty good, except for the end where there's a pretty anti-Semitic bit. I won't go into detail, but just be aware that happens, if you consider reading it. Other than that part it's really good so 9/10 would recommend.
“Thus human beings judge of one another, superficially, casually, throwing contempt on one another, with but little reason, and no charity.” - Emmuska Orczy, 'The Scarlet Pimpernel'

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:35 pm
Remington38 says...

I just started Anthony Burgess' A clockwork Orange. It's pretty good so far. I am also reading Dune by Frank Herbert.
Proud Reader of Banned Books

Answer to life, the universe, and everything: 42

Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
Cesar Cruiz

Pluviophile- a lover of rain; someone who finds joy/peace of mind on rainy days.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:56 pm
View Likes
DubyS says...

I am currently reading Sherlock Holmes series and I just finisheda short story Canterville's Ghost by Oscar Wilde. It was alright I think.
Happy Writing :D

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:15 pm
niteowl says...

Currently reading a historical fiction novel called "Sabina" about a young Italian woman who marries into 15th century Florence nobility. The plot is good, though there are some parts where you can tell the author wants to cram in their research and it starts to read like a history paper.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Random avatar

Reviews: 223
Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:31 am
Mathy says...

Guardians of Ga'Hoole book 3. One of my favorites of the series, but not my favorite all-time book, mind you.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
ZeldaIsSheik

Random avatar

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:21 am
claritia78 says...

Starlight9 wrote:I am planning to read 'The Choice' by Nicholas Sparks. However it saddens me that I am going to read it online rachat de crédit (which means that I would gaze into my laptop screen for hours) because I don't have the book as a hard copy and I don't even feel like going to a bookstore these days. 'The Choice' is a comedy-romance novel, I think.

It is a very beautiful book, but with some touch of romance with rose water. Anyway, I warn you already that you will spend several sleepless nights.

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm
Radrook says...

Starting to read a book on the philosophy of art.
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 pm
Terian805 says...

I'm storming through the Beautiful and Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald right now.
"You can't live over your shoulder, overbehind."

Random avatar

Mon May 06, 2019 2:46 am
mavhas says...

yes its really important to read if you want to write ... a good writer is always a good reader ! nowadays i am reading Elif shafak . one of the most beautiful writers of our time , it actually helped me when i was into Mr. depression which she calls Lord poton . I dont know how does she comes up with all this stuff but it actually feels she is writing for me and for me its actually a great success of a writer ... so lets keep reading ... and writing !

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan