z

Young Writers Society

Fanfic or not?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:44 pm
Silverdragon150 says...

I have a story I am writing. I want to post it on here, but I need to get one thing clear first: When is a story a/not a fanfic? I do not view it as a fanfic, but someone I told about my story says it sounds like a fanfic. How much do you have to change in order for it not to be a fanfic? What if it was never intended to be a fanfic? :?:
something something dragons something something open to conversation
Been quiet for a couple years, we'll see how this one goes.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:58 pm
Rosendorn says...

It'd help if you told us what this story is about. Does it use a world/setting/characters that aren't your own/from a published [or aired, if using tv] work? If yes, then it's fanfic.

If no, and the world/setting/characters are your own, then you've probably made them too similar to another work. If you post it, YWS can help you get the characters more original. :)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

46 Reviews

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 pm
Silverdragon150 says...

Well, the thing that people say its a fanfic of is the Maximum Ride series, but this is mainly because it is a popular book series that has to do with genetic experiments. I'm writing a story that has to do with genetic experiments, but I don't want it to be a fanfic. Does that help?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed May 04, 2011 10:29 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

A story is a fanfic if it is written in another story's universe or involving another story's characters. For instance, if you were to write a story about Ralphie and Dorothy Ann from "The Magic School Bus" realizing that they are in love and going off on wild adventures together in the Bus, then that would be fanfiction. If you happened to write a story about a boy and a girl who fall in love and go off on wild adventures in a magic bus but really don't have any other similarities, that isn't fanfiction.

The difference is that fanfiction is about another author's creation. An original piece of fiction can still sound very much like another in that they might have a similar premise or similar characters, but they can still be two very different pieces of work.

There are plenty of fanfic works that go off on strange tangents and put characters in situations that they couldn't possibly have in the original, but they are still fanfic because they are about those particular characters that someone else created. If your story is your own work, with your own characters, in your own world, it's not fanfiction.

Does that help at all?
I am reminded of the babe by you.

46 Reviews

Wed May 04, 2011 11:00 pm
Silverdragon150 says...

Yes, it does. Thank you a lot, GryphonFledgling. That really clears things up, and helps me feel better too. Thanks for your response, it answered my question.

find your aesthetic and flaunt it
— manilla