Young Writers Society

Name Finding Tips

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:31 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

I go on www.fantasynamegenerators.com and use the Elf name gen usually. XD LOVE IT
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

Reviews: 2
Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:58 pm
verba4scriptor says...

what do you think would be a good name for a demon? I have a character who is a demon living on earth but I cant think of a name for him.

also what do you think would be a good name for a male personification of death?
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it!

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:04 pm
PrincessInk says...

Try this for a monster:http://fantasynamegenerators.com/demon_names.php#.WKXNSG_yupo

Another way I find names is to use the English to Latin translator.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:13 am
Featherstone says...

As aforementioned, I use a name gen, or a second method that I love and is pretty easy. I should've mentioned this earlier, but I forgot. So anyways, this is it:

1. Choose an animal, object, or attribute representative of your character. For example, I wanted to name one of my characters that meant something like 'bringer of death.'

2. Google 'names meaning...' I googled 'names meaning bringer of death.' Sometimes throwing in a gender helps, like 'female names meaning bringer of death.'

3. Click on results and look around until you find something you like. I found Agrona, a goddess of death, or bringer of death. I called her the Harbinger of Death.

The main pro to doing it with this method is it allows the use of symbolism for my prophecies and such- for instance, Cornix is associated with the constellation of the Crow and a crow marks his coming. For Agrona, it is for her skill in battle and goes back to some old lore I made. I find it is good for a) giving flavor, b) for symbolism elsewhere in the story, and c) character development.

By 'c', let me explain using Agrona.

As aforementioned, it means 'harbinger of death'. When she was named that, she was being raised by werewolves. She lived on instinct in a kill or be killed world. Later, she changed her name to Tasha- a very common human name, obscurely associated with honor, discipline, and law. This marks the beginning of her change from a feral wolf-child to a member of the Hunters (law enforcement/protectors of the innocent). By the end of the story, she is a disciplined, honorable warrior who upholds the law and fights for good.

I hope that made sense. Anyways, anyone ever needs help with names, feel free to PM me. Or just tag me here. It occurs to me I should have put this in my first post, but better late than never, right?

Good luck with names,

Feather
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

Reviews: 4
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:44 am
DauntlessDagger says...

fantasynamegenerators.com

This will generate names for you on everything under the sun. Extremely helpful sight.
Dauntless Dagger

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:24 am
GengarIsBestBoy says...

*does necromancy as I revive this dead thread*

I found this article on my favorite writer’s advice site with an A-Z list of flower/plant names: https://allwritealright.com/unique-flow ... haracters/
How dare you make fun of Molly Mcgee?! That’s my job!!

—Scratch, The Ghost and Molly Mcgee

[Gengar! :D]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

HONK
— The Golden Goose