z

Young Writers Society

Top 5 Worst Books You Ever Read

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:31 am
Nate says...

So what are the top 5 worst books that you have ever read? Note, you actually have had to read them from beginning to end. No, "the first 20 pages were terrible so I didn't continue" here!

Here are mine:
5. "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk: "Fight Club" was awesome, but this book relied too much on the shocking.
4. "Dune Messiah" by Frank Herbe: "Dune" should have stopped at "Dune." The first book is the greatest sci-fi book ever, but the rest just stink.
3. "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens: It's by Dickens and it's long. 'nough said.
2. "The Forest" by Edward Rutherford: "London" and "Sarum" were great. "The Forest," not so great.
1. "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen: Why this book is often talked about is beyond me. IT STINKS.

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:11 am
Galatea says...

5. "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevski. Raskolnikov drove me insane.
4. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. Rich women, yippie.
3. "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Rich women, yippie.
2. "Jane Eyre" by Charolette Bronte. Poor women getting rich, yippie.
1. "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens. Dickens was paid by the word. His prose is sporatic, it's like he didn't pay any attention to what he was writing!!

Note my distaste for 19th century literature.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:22 am
View Likes
Areida says...

Areida's going to die if another person hates on Jane Austen. Must. Continue. To. Breathe. :shock:

* Beast, Donna Jo Napoli. Scared me out of my wits with all that lion-ness.

* St. Anselm's Basic Writings. PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME EVER READ IT AGAIN! *cries*

* On the Social Contract, Jean Jacques Rousseau. *gag* *retch*

* First Light, Bodie and Brock Thoene. Yes, please stuff some more historical facts down my throat! Geeze, people, just tell the freaking story!

* Troy, Adele Geras. Ack.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:59 am
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt
I liked the Civil War and all but... YUCK

Harry Potter by JK Rowling
I don't care, hate me, her motives are messed up. She claimed she doesn't even like fantasy. I hate her. And I'm not one to fall into her pitiful mind trap. The movies are alright though.

Little Women by ... Wass her name...
I read it in 6 grade... it was confusing and ever so annoying by all this properness... YUCK

The Power of Un by (forgets)
I mean, come on, there are too many sci-fi things with time travel to mess up or change the future... BOO!

*Forgets* by Sharon Creech
I can recall that she was writing as a poet... and the poet sucked big time in what they wrote, it was like a sucky journal of poems. There was this major obsession about Walter Dean Myers as well. And they messed up TYGER TYGER to BLUE CAR BLUE CAR... Amazing how I can't remember the title but so much...

If I can rememer anything then I'll repost... but that's it for now.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:28 am
View Likes
Swires says...

YOU FEIND! how can you not like potter?

5)Mrs Pepperpot ~Alf Proyson
4)Scribbleboy~Phili Ridley
3)Watership Down ~Richard Adams
2)The Magicians Nephew ~ CS Lewis
1)Shadowmancer ~GP taylor (I like wormwood though)
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 am
Fool says...

5) Misery - Stephen King

4) Wit'ch Fire - James Clemens, was just wrong...shouldn't have been written

3) Arabian Nights

2) Blind Beauty - K M Peyton

1) Exile's Return - Raymond E Feist - have a serious problem with this book, last of a series that does not finish a story, not very well written.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Myth says...

In no particular order.

1) Harry Potter -- J.K. Rowling. I just don't like any of the books.
2) Farseer Trilogy -- Robin Hoob. I read these last year. *groans*
3) The Vampire Chronicles -- Anne Rice. I'll burn these books. Gawd these are so s*** especially Queen of the Damned because Ashaka is a b**** and Louis from Interview with a Vampire is such an idiot.
4) Jane Austen -- Please do not ask me what I think of her books.
5) Star Wars books -- Can't stand any of them.

There's more to add to the list but those are the five worst.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:40 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

1) Enduring Love - Ian friggin' McEwan ...I had to read it when I did 6th form and...lets just say, when I left school I burnt it. And additionally, I was really hacked off I'd had to buy the damn thing in the first place!
2) Ana Karenina - Leo Tolstoy...I only halfway through. I failed to see why we had to listen to Tolsoy blether on about a farm when it was apparently a love story.
3) Great Expectations - Charles Dickens...what can I say? It got dull. A rare case of the film being so much better. Actually, I find that with all Dickens stuff. It's just way too long. Don't see why it couldn't have been edited a bit when published - I mean, surely he didn't get paid per word when it became a book?!
4) Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck. Snore?
5) Hrry Potter...the first 4 books. Although the last two are ok if I'm in the right mood. Rowling isn't a writer, she's a story teller, and not a very good one at that.

And *cries* Austen is brilliant!
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:12 pm
View Likes
Swires says...

5) Hrry Potter...the first 4 books. Although the last two are ok if I'm in the right mood. Rowling isn't a writer, she's a story teller, and not a very good one at that.

Well shes still making millions by the week so hey, I arnt going to turn around and say she isnt good because there isnt a person in any 1st world country that hasnt heard of harry potter. If shes so bad, why isnt she selling millions of copies and has ques of people waiting to buy her books on release date? Also has blockbuster films made from her books...yeah shes rubbish isnt she.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:23 pm
DarkerSarah says...

Anna Karenina is a lot more complex than just a love story. You're not going to be able to read any epic, be it Les Miserables, The Count of Monte Cristo, whatever and just get a love story. You're going to have to read about the farms and the prisons and the politics. Anna Karenina is my favorite book of all time.

The Mermaid Chair by Susan Monk Kidd. They knew each other for five minutes and fell in love. Then they had sex. Uh, no.
Beowulf. I appreciate the fact that the archetypical hero came from this and that JRR Tolkien was a big fan, and you can draw paralells from the Lord of the Rings to Beowulf, but I just didn't enjoy reading it. I just didn't.
Billy Budd by Herman Melville. No comment. Just...none.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon. Shut up. I know the new age emo contemporary lit crowd is going to hate me for this one. I cannot express to you how much I hated this book. I only read it because my best friend asked me to. I understand what he was trying to do, but the book just sucked.
A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck. Okay, this should probably be first on my list because it is probably my least favorite. Has anyone else read this book? Did you like it?
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:01 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Earth in Balance, by Al Gore ---> Ugh... never ever ever read it.

Interstellar Pig ---> One of the stupidest books in all existance.

The Amber Spyglass ---> It has some interesting moments and it is well-crafted, but the ending SUCKS. And it's preachy. Gah...

Goosebumps ---> I've always hated this series with a burning passion.

My textbooks ---> Yes, most of them suck.

There's a lot more...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:08 pm
View Likes
*Twilight* says...

Snoink,......How dare you!? *cries*
I loved goosebumps when I was younger. That was the series that got me interested in reading. But I guess that was a long time ago........Oh well.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:43 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Goosebumps...ahhh, memories...lol. Own it, they were fairly bad! But I still read all of them!
Ok....Adam 101 - That is MY personal opinion, which I'm allowed to have. So hush. She isn't a good writer, IN MY OPINION...plus she nicked all her ideas of other writers anyway...
And SNOINK - how could you not love Philip Pullman's books?! He's right at the top of my list. Does the end of the Amber Spyglass not make you cry????!!!!
DarkerSarah - please, PLEASE do not patronise me. I am fully aware of that fact. But I just found that the way the farm was factored into the story - my god, it bloody WAS the story - it made me put the book down. It didn't interest me. Plus, I'd heard it was a work of art...and I really, really, didn't think it was.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:56 am
Myth says...

DarkerSarah wrote:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon. Shut up. I know the new age emo contemporary lit crowd is going to hate me for this one. I cannot express to you how much I hated this book. I only read it because my best friend asked me to. I understand what he was trying to do, but the book just sucked.

I also hated that book, it was about the author and his problem whatever its called. Something Syndrome... don't know how to spell it.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:53 pm
Chevy says...

1. Bad Girls by Cynthia Voigt

she had a pretty pathetic way of writing that book.

2. Haunted by Meg Cabot

she was NOT supposed to end up with...with...JESSE!!! I don't care how much she was in love with him at the beginning of the book...he STILL doesn't exist. >:-|

3. (The Book About the Girl with the Purple Eyes by Whoever it is, isn't worth remembering)

The only sanity she had left in her pathetic life is killed at the end by this monster she's been forced the live with. What the heck...

4. Guitar Girl by Whoever

It was an okay book up until the ending...I'm not sure why authors are so obsessed with dissapointing the readers at the end of the book and never coming out with a sequel. Beats me.

5. A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck

I found the book rather pointless...I know it's about a father and his son and yada yada yada but to be hinest, I was hoping for more romance which it really lacked.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women