z

Young Writers Society

What's the best way to start a story off?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:20 pm
angelwings13 says...

My story is about a girl moving to a small town from a big city and meeting three unlikely people during a summer class. She becomes friends with them and I pretty much tell their summer adventures together. At first i'm going to start it off with my protagonist which is the girl then when she befriends the three others I will switch points of view. How should I start the story off, i'm lost. I want to start it off strong. Then how do I go about switching the point of views when I get ready to? Thanks so much in advance.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

First: Harsh as this may sound, your beginning will never be right the first draft. Ever. You think you start it the best way possible, by the end of the story that might not be the best way. The most important thing to do is just start the story. If you want some tips on how to make it so your beginning needs a bit less editing/rewriting, see if this article is helpful.

Second: When it comes to a PoV switch, it depends on if you're in first or third person. In first person, make sure the character's name is somewhere very close to the PoV switch, or only do PoV switches at chapter titles and name your chapters after the characters we're going to be following.

If it's in third person, just put asterisks or some other form of page break (~, —, <>) between the scenes you're having in another character's pov. That's pretty standard convention.

Hope this helps!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:39 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

That's interesting - a big town girl moving to the sticks. Why not have her neighbours help her family unpack? Maybe she really didn't want to move, so she started failing classes in the city, meaning she'd have to attend summer school to advance to the next year level - she could meet her two new friends there.

She could get in an accident and one of the other people in the emergency rooms could be a relative of one of the girls she becomes friends with.

She could get a job at the Handy store in town, and serve a real b*tch who turns out to be one of her friends.

We can't really help you with a start with the information you've given, but I hope some of these give you ideas. Just don't turn it into a "girl-moves-to-new-town-attends-school-makes-friends-and-has-a-relationship-with-a-vampire" story :P
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus