z

Young Writers Society

First Lines (Poll)

When first opening a book, how much do you read before deciding to commit to the whole thing?

just the first sentence
No votes
just the first paragraph
15%
just the first page
35%
other (please explain)
50%

Total votes : 20

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:01 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I have a question: How many of you, upon opening up a book, read only the first line before deciding to read it?

Recently, I've read quite a few articles about and pleas for help with first lines. People say they are the most important, the first impression, blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong. I think first impressions are important and if you can write a killer first sentence, then by all means make it as killer as possible. But is it really that important that you should get hung up on it and stress about it and generally be worried about it?

I can't say as I ever have been that hung up on it. More than the first sentence alone, I have always freaked about about the first paragraph of my story, because that is what I personally read when I am first opening a book. I give the book a little more of a chance than a single sentence.

My advice in general though: Don't freak out about it too much, especially not on your first draft. There is always time to edit later. Just start the story however it demands to be started and you can go back and make it look pretty later.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:49 pm
Rosendorn says...

"Other" was my choice.

I have read anywhere from 1 sentence to three pages to determine if the book was worthwhile (the three pages was because it was so nice to read I just kept going...) with my average being around three paragraphs. Usually, I stop when there's some sort of glaring error (clunky description, not using the person well, too much backstory required to understand the situation, grammar, ect) early on.

However, once I get into the story I tend to skip over these errors. For the most part. This stage of requiring to hook me usually lasts until the story gets good, which often is at the 7/10 page mark.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:40 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

I pick a random page in the middle of the book because I know that the first line/page probably went through the most work until it was perfect. That being said a book can easily sound amazing from the first page and go down hill.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:38 pm
lilymoore says...

I picked Other as well because it's often a combination of factors that lead me to read a whole story. Title is a big thing because if they've created an interesting title, it can often lead me to reading the whole story just to understand the meaning.
Also, a well written, interesting blurb about the book can often be enough to get me to read it.
Sometimes, too, it will be the author that will encourage me to read it. The very name 'Kurt Vonnegut ' will prompt me to read the book. These factors actually bring me to want to read more than the first few lines of the story.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:51 pm
peanut19 says...

I picked other because I use a combination of the title and the summary and sometimes I read a page or two. I also go by the cover. There are certain covers that make me want to read books and others that make me want to drop them. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover but I can't help it.

~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:12 am
TheModernist says...

First paragraph then the middle. I've been bamboozled too many times by a first line.
There's no rain there's no me, I'm tellin' ya man sure as shit. - From Poem by Jack Kerouac

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:55 pm
Razzker says...

I picked other. I have a range of reading the first few paragraphs up to around three pages. If I feel like it, I also sometimes take a short sneak peek of the future chapters just to see where it's going before I continue reading.
Check out my blog: Razztazztic!

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 pm
Lava says...

First page.
It's almost always one page or 3/4th a page and then I decide.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

143 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 143
Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:40 pm
LovelessSummer says...

I choose Other.

There was this one book that I read a good five chapters in before throwing it to the piranhas. I noticed it was moving really slow and the description was dragging and the whole book itself was just...slow. Nothing was happening other than the girl being admitted into the corrections facility and meeting everyone, but at least she made an enemy! Ugh.

Different books, like ones by Sarah Dessen, I don't even need to worry about if it'll be good or not. She's just that awesome.

Loveless~
LoVeLeSs I review short stories and novels.

Always remember that you’re unique. Just like everyone else.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers - That perches in the soul - And sings the tune without the words - And never stops - at all -
— Emily Dickinson