z

Young Writers Society

I can't start one! huhu :'(

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
darkangel_05 says...

I have many ideas, stories, and thoughts in my mind. But the problem is that I can't put those thoughts into paper. Ugh! I'm so sick of this. Is it writer's block? I believe not, because I have IDEAS.

And, I can't find a good introduction. Please help.

Example. I have this story about three best friends: a writer, a photographer, and a musician. I can't start it.

Even a story outline can't help me.
Sometimes B sharp,
Never B flat,
Always B natural.

I love writing songs and listening to music and books and daydreaming and coffee at five in the morning.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 18, 2010 7:32 am
Snoink says...

Let yourself write crap. Yes, it'll be awful. But writing crap is the first step to writing anything good.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 pm
Rosendorn says...

Just to back up Snoink's comment, I've probably come up with 14 drafts for the first 30 pages of my novel. And I had thought each one of those drafts was good.

So, you'll be editing anyway. Step 1 is to get the idea on paper so you can start writing the story. This is one time where the saying "you can't polish poop" is not true. (And the Mythbusters proved that you can polish poop in real life. So ;))
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 pm
napalmerski says...

Right after high school I became a journalist for a newspaper. One of the editors, a sympathetic woman, gave me ivaluable advice about writing. It was about writing articles, but goes for writing fiction too. It was, "write the first ten lines. Force yourself to write the first ten lines, after that it starts writing itself."
So, my advice is the same - every time you sit down to write - write ten lines of anything. It's like pushing a car with a dead battery. After a few feet it comes to life and continues on its own.
And if what one writes is crap - good. Means you're not fooling yourself. :D Crap doesn't suddenly become replaced by quality. It's a long journey
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun May 23, 2010 7:38 pm
Embee says...

I agree with what everyone says. I have problems starting things too. I usually type everything out on a computer, but when I start having issues, I just shut down the computer, grab a notebook, sit in the backyard, and start writing. Or, if you're used to writing in a notebook, try typing it out on a computer. Plus, you don't always have to start with the beginning. Write what you feel like writing. If it's the end, write the end, if it's some scene in the middle, write that.

Also, with introductions, I always start with introducing a character. It's usually crap and I alwayss end up deleting it, but it helped me get past problems I had with starting the story and I just kept on writing. So just start something like: My name is [insert character's name here] and this is how my story starts.

And just continue from there. It's fun to see where it goes. :smt001

Embee
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

I would advise against writing the ending or middle of your story first. I write in a linear fashion, just how life goes. In a line. Also, it's easier to make alterations that way.

Writer’s block isn't just not having any ideas, sometimes writers have ideas but are unable to transfer them onto paper. That is also writer's block.

Don't worry about your writing being bad, it'll get better, so just write or you'll never achieve anything.

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper