Young Writers Society

Lyrics in Stories?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:05 pm
Stori says...

Do you all think this is a good idea?
And do you know any songs about close friends
(ballads, contemporary, anything will do)?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

*Moved to Fiction Discussion and Tips*

From a story point of view, lyrics can help or hinder a story. They can help by giving a feel for the scene, and can richen emotion. They can also date a story quickly, turn readers off because they don't like the song, and can cheapen a scene by putting in a superficial/emo mood depending on the song. Because the lyrics might be considered sappy and/or unrealistic, readers might roll their eyes. If you try to please them by poking a bit of fun at the song, then you'll turn away readers who love the song. You can also have a lovely character-driven story, fantastic plot, could be read by a wide variety of people, and the song sticks it in one category that's considered lower-quality.

I personally consider lyrics more trouble than their worth. Between the way it can date the story and how it can segment a story into a category when the story really doesn't deserve to be segmented in there.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings