z

Young Writers Society

Well, this is of quite some interest.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm
BenFranks says...

Hello fellows.

I've recently noticed that in my historical fiction book, "Reg Carter: Deep Cover", that I have subconciously created an entirely different personality to "Reg" as I'd set out to do.
Now, before you get me wrong, this isn't a bad thing. In fact it's mildly humourus. The only problem is, I wanted to have Carter killed off and now, it won't work. Simply because Reg's personality is in dier need of having to be killed off instead. This may make little sense. But this is what I need help with.

Should I rewrite Reg's parts to shape his personality back the way I want it? Or should I keep the natural character that's been formed, and kill him off instead?

Either way, "the show must go on", so one has to die.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

A bit of advice gleaned from personal experience: If you rewrite your characters' personalities, they will most likely stop talking to you.
Last edited by Rosendorn on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

411 Reviews

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:05 pm
BenFranks says...

I like how you've put that :)

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 am
Lauren2010 says...

I 100% agree with Rosey. Sometimes what we originally plan for our characters isn't right, so they go a whole different way and be whole different people and give you a whole different story from one you've planned. But, usually, it all works out in the end. :)

P.S. This is why I think massive outlining is for losers :P
Got YWS?

411 Reviews

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm
BenFranks says...

Thankyou :)

The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
— Anonymous