z

Young Writers Society

Ten(+) Rules for Writing Fiction

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 am
smorgishborg says...

Inspired by a forthcoming book on writing by Elmore Leonard, The Guardian newspaper asked a bunch of other authors to provide their top ten writing tips. It's a great aticle that is both funny, but also full of a ton of good advice.
Here's the article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/fe ... n-part-one

And here's the first list, copy and pasted from the article.
Elmore Leonard: Using adverbs is a mortal sin

1 Never open a book with weather. If it's only to create atmosphere, and not a charac­ter's reaction to the weather, you don't want to go on too long. The reader is apt to leaf ahead look­ing for people. There are exceptions. If you happen to be Barry Lopez, who has more ways than an Eskimo to describe ice and snow in his book Arctic Dreams, you can do all the weather reporting you want.

2 Avoid prologues: they can be ­annoying, especially a prologue ­following an introduction that comes after a foreword. But these are ordinarily found in non-fiction. A prologue in a novel is backstory, and you can drop it in anywhere you want. There is a prologue in John Steinbeck's Sweet Thursday, but it's OK because a character in the book makes the point of what my rules are all about. He says: "I like a lot of talk in a book and I don't like to have nobody tell me what the guy that's talking looks like. I want to figure out what he looks like from the way he talks."

3 Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue. The line of dialogue belongs to the character; the verb is the writer sticking his nose in. But "said" is far less intrusive than "grumbled", "gasped", "cautioned", "lied". I once noticed Mary McCarthy ending a line of dialogue with "she asseverated" and had to stop reading and go to the dictionary.

4 Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said" . . . he admonished gravely. To use an adverb this way (or almost any way) is a mortal sin. The writer is now exposing himself in earnest, using a word that distracts and can interrupt the rhythm of the exchange. I have a character in one of my books tell how she used to write historical romances "full of rape and adverbs".

5 Keep your exclamation points ­under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose. If you have the knack of playing with exclaimers the way Tom Wolfe does, you can throw them in by the handful.

6 Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose". This rule doesn't require an explanation. I have noticed that writers who use "suddenly" tend to exercise less control in the application of exclamation points.

7 Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly. Once you start spelling words in dialogue phonetically and loading the page with apos­trophes, you won't be able to stop. Notice the way Annie Proulx captures the flavour of Wyoming voices in her book of short stories Close Range.

8 Avoid detailed descriptions of characters, which Steinbeck covered. In Ernest Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants", what do the "Ameri­can and the girl with him" look like? "She had taken off her hat and put it on the table." That's the only reference to a physical description in the story.

9 Don't go into great detail describing places and things, unless you're ­Margaret Atwood and can paint scenes with language. You don't want descriptions that bring the action, the flow of the story, to a standstill.

10 Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip. Think of what you skip reading a novel: thick paragraphs of prose you can see have too many words in them.

My most important rule is one that sums up the 10: if it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.

Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing is published next month by Weidenfeld & Nicolson.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 am
Writersdomain says...

*moved to Fiction Discussion & Tips*
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 am
smorgishborg says...

Wait, how on earth did I end up posting this in other fiction? Too many tabs open, I think...

Thanks for moving.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm
Jiggity says...

Haha, all good points. :)
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:57 pm
Merlin34 says...

I disagree with number 3. Sure, "said" should be the main word to use, and "expectorated", "averred", and other such words should never ever be in a book, but what's wrong with the occasional "shouted", "growled", "commanded", "hissed", or uhh... "ASKED"?
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

I've read the whole list and I loved how some points directly contradicted each other. xD It's good food for thought.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 am
Krupp says...

Ehhhh....some of these I completely agree with, like the point about the prologue. However, I have to disagree with 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 9. Those things can be done and still be a great reading. I think this guy's just trying to get down the bare facts for a story, and that's it. As if that's the only thing that matters, when clearly there's more to it than that. That's just my opinion though.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I think the number one rule of fiction is: "Obey all rules... until you need to make an exception."

I agree with rules in fiction, if only so that you know what you are doing when you break one.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm
Merlin34 says...

I think one of the biggest rules for writing is, "Don't have an ego."
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:53 am
Shadowhunter14 says...

Very true, Merlin..........and these tips were interesting but I must say I didn't entirely agree with all of them.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:42 am
ADream says...

I've broken quite a few rules. Maybe next time, I'll heed your word, only if there are reasons to. :D

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana