z

Young Writers Society

Fantasy Writers, Stand Up!

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 am
Jiggity says...

This is the roll call!

All you fantasy writers, I see you, hiding behind your myriad dragons, centaurs and other magical ephemera. If you write and love fantasy, post!

This group is for you: Happeh Fun Times For Fantasists!

Of course, that's not to discriminate against all the other lovely genres out there. So, what's your favourite and why? List them here! (We like science fiction peeps at the Fantasy Fool's, too, ha).

I also happen to like Horror and Crime Fiction.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:45 am
Hippie says...

I write fantasy. Not your typical dragons and elves high fantasy mind you - I prefer a darker, grittier style like that of the Dark Tower Series. I still enjoy high fantasy though.

Haven't read much Sci-Fi, but enjoyed what I have read. I've got Ender's Game on my bookshelf in my "to read" section.

I mostly read YA stuff like The Hunger Games and Unwind. I read a bit in the crime and action genres as well. Don't like literary fiction.

I've joined the group and will put a link in my signature. 'Tis a noble cause. Thanks.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

798 Reviews

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:47 am
Jiggity says...

Awesome! I don't write much of the high-end stuff either, though I do love anything to do with dragons. I writer surreal modern stuff, mixed with horror generally :)

This roll call is going incredibly slowly, haha.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:52 pm
Krupp says...

I tend to blend fantasy and sci-fi into a lot of my works...The Desert Messiah in Advanced Critiques is a perfect example of that..

Scifi and Fantasy both inspire me, but I tend to shy away from a lot of that stuff because dragons and elves and whatever just don't hold my interest as much anymore. I do however enjoy a great deal about Norse mythology.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

798 Reviews

Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:13 am
Jiggity says...

I really don't like it when people relegate Fantasy to "stuff about dragons and elves" - that describes two mythological races often associated with the genre but which, in fact, represent less than a percentage of it's entirety and just....

Argh. I won't get into it, now. The group is for sci-fi writers as well, though.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:07 pm
Lauren2010 says...

*stands up*

I write a lot of fantasy, in fact, most of my work has some sort of fantastical element. I just like the freedom involved with the genre. In fantasy (this overflows into Sci-fi too) you can do just about anything and its okay. I can create whatever sort of strange race of people I want! Fun stuff.

I also like a good adventure, every once and a while I'll grab a romance, and that broad area of 'other fiction' on the YWS forumns attracts me as well.

Also, I have rarely used a dragon or an elf in one of my stories. Really, I don't think I've ever used either. I'm with you Jiggity. :D
Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:42 am
Jiggity says...

Good stuff, Laura! XD

Check out the group! :)

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:11 am
Vampiress says...

I do.
whether they start good or bad, Every good writer starts somewhere

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 am
Red Ashes says...

I love fantasy!!! :D
I read historical fiction, romance, fantasy, sci-fi... I think that's it. I sometimes read mystery novels as well.
I write historical fiction, stuff with a hint of romance in it, and fantasy. I try sci-fi but... never works. :P
Still, I think a mix of all is what the doctor orders.

~Ash~
~ Check out my inspirational blog!

* A man falls in love through his eyes; a woman through her heart - slightly changed by me*

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:14 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

i think I'm a fantasy writer. For I while I was afraid of it, for a while I was ashamed, and now I feel unworthy.

I 've only read two kinds of fantasy novels-- the really, really, really great stuff, and the really terrible, pulpy trash that youn can only use to line your wastebasket. So I was afraid of reading it, then I felt like I was too good for fantasy and sci-fi, but know that I've accepted my love for the genres I have no idea how to begin writing them.
So I guess I don't stand. I sit in my squeaky three-legged chair and continue to be miserable.
And while we're here, can someone define fantasy? Is it anything but reality:superheroes who's origins aren't explained with science, magical cults, demons and orks and werecats and banshees and ghosts, elves and wizards, dragons and sea serpants, greek gods.... all of this is fantasy??
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:05 am
Sophia_x says...

I'm standing :)

i love reading and writing fantasy and i totally agree with you all. Fantasy gives you the freedom to explore and create and get lost in completely new worlds that no one has before. You can make up new creatures and get away with crazy things cos, well, it's fantasy!

I also like it when fantasy has been combined with others, like a little romance or a little action thrown in there. That for me makes a book worth reading!

Keep writing fanatasy writers! This genre rocks :) (All the other genres rock too of course:P )

x
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life you have a thousand reasons to smile.
For instance, you still have chocolate :P
x

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 am
RebellionLies says...

Hippie wrote:I've got Ender's Game on my bookshelf in my "to read" section.

Read it now! (Or when you get the chance). It's definately in my top 5 favorite books, but I can't say too much about any of its sequels. :/

Back on topic - I've always wanted to write a fantasy, as Hippie mentioned, like the Dark Tower Series, but I'm not too good with with writing the genre. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future.
"Just tell us what to fear because I don't know what tomorrow brings." -Bright Eyes

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:09 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I started out writing nothing but fantasy and though I have since branched out to other genres (*cough science fiction cough*, fantasy still remains very near and dear to my heart.

I don't usually write high fantasy, but more like "the genre gives me freedom to have whatever I want happen in it"-fantasy (same with sci-fi).

Is it anything but reality:superheroes who's origins aren't explained with science, magical cults, demons and orks and werecats and banshees and ghosts, elves and wizards, dragons and sea serpants, greek gods.... all of this is fantasy??

Yup, I would say that all of this is fantasy. As to defining exactly what fantasy is, that might be a little harder. It'd probably be easier to do on an individual story basis, or telling you what isn't fantasy.

*must investigate this group thing*
I am reminded of the babe by you.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm
Conrad Rice says...

I are fantasy. *Nods* :P
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 am
MeadowLark says...

Fantasy da sh--shtuff! :P
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
— William Shakespeare