z

Young Writers Society

Griffin Names?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:15 am
Stori says...

I'm looking for a good name for a male griffin. Anyone have ideas?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 am
JabberHut says...

Richard.
I make my own policies.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:26 am
Gladius says...

Aeran, Adriel, Keren, Kynen...I don't know. I have griffins in my trilogy, but I haven't actually had to deal with them yet. ^^; I have a names list here, though, that might work.

Let's see...Alix, Jervis, Pavel, Bazek, Zeryn, Cyril, Cailean, Kye, Cordeal, Shaldo, Demorth, Einian, Aryan, Cynbel, Jabab, Elthyn, Armand.
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:00 am
ButterFlyInk says...

Saphire is a pretty cool name, but i guess that would be for a female griffin. Phoenix, Slyph or Zephyr. I'm not to sure what kind of names your looking for though.

A few of the names that Gladius suggested are cool :D *thumbs up*

Hope that helps,

-Ink
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:30 am
Griffinkeeper says...

How your gryphons are named will depend a lot on how you view them. If gryphons are rare, then they might get by on a single name, like Gandalf did for Lord of the Rings. If there are many more gryphons, then they might have last names. Or maybe their names reflect their positions, very much like elected officials and doctors. Maybe they don't have names unless they have done something very important. Or maybe their names change as they do.

Society, history, and tradition determine a lot about how people are named, so that's something to keep in mind.

Personally, I like to come up with odd combinations of words, usually with "A" and "L" in them. One I named is called Alden, there was also Artalion, Lennel, Seeker, Gennon, and Sentil. So I just sounded them out until they sounded cool.

In the end though, a name is only as good as the person it represents. A name like Harry Potter would seem rather plain. It is the character which makes a boring name interesting.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 am
chocoholic says...

Or do what nobody expects and call it Bob. Or Fred. Or Bob-Fred.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:33 am
ButterFlyInk says...

chocoholic wrote:Or do what nobody expects and call it Bob. Or Fred. Or Bob-Fred.

lol that is funny chocoholic...maybe you could use Joe, or Curly heck you could even have Moe...lol just kidding. :)
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:06 pm
Stori says...

Maybe they don't have names unless they do something important.

That's an interesting idea. How did you come up it, Griff?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:54 pm
Theo Hart says...

Kyte wrote:
Maybe they don't have names unless they do something important.

That's an interesting idea. How did you come up it, Griff?

Perhaps it's like in the real world. For instance, a polar bear is a polar bear is a polar bear, right? Now, what if I say the word, "Knut?" :idea:

Obviously, since this is fantasy, I doubt that Girffins are named because they're so flippin' cute, but you get the point.

Or, it's from some book I haven't read. : P

As for the naming... What culture-type are you setting your story in? If you can narrow this down to a country, just search through a baby name website with a "language of origin" and/or meaning criteria, and pick one that you like.

'Tis what I do for my characters.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:13 pm
Krupp says...

Peter.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 pm
aidan312 says...

Stori wrote:I'm looking for a good name for a male griffin. Anyone have ideas?

maybe shadow

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 am
Gnomish says...

I always go to this site for my names.

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

How about Dawnbeak, Adler, Arn, Enyalius, or Saki?
My thoughts are thoroughly indigestible.

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon