z

Young Writers Society

How does writing make you feel?

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:29 pm
Dynamo says...

Like a god!

Technically, writers are gods. Think about it, we create our own world using nothing but a pencil, paper and our imagination, we control every event that happens in our little 'world' and if we're feeling especially evil we can destroy everything the main character holds dear. It's fun to be in control.

Of course, that's just my opinion. How does writing make you all feel?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:42 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I like to think we're more like sociopaths that got hold of one of God's old and worn-out creating machines, but isn't sure exactly how to use it. We have all of the power and none of the omnipotence.

The only feelings I get from writing are frustration and a horrible neutrality towards the world I really live in.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:49 pm
Dynamo says...

Interesting...

Aside from the God complex writing gives me I also like the feeling I get when I'm starting a new story. It's like being given a piece of stone to write your own commandments, starting from scratch to create a world entirely your own.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:51 pm
Poltergiest says...

I really don't know. I love my characters and my world that I've created but in a while I'm gonna be stuck and have massive writers block. I never thought about me being like a god but in some ways I guess we are. That is if you get any of it published. :wink:

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:40 am
Nutty says...

Like I'm in control... when in real life I'm not. And it makes my imagination work over-time. So then I feel like I'm nuts with the stuff I came up with!
There's not much more satisfying then something well-written, though.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:05 am
Sam says...

Which is hilarious...because I really don't feel in control at all. It's a bit like walking a hyperactive Retriever down the block, with characters- them tugging at you every which way, after each squirrel and rabbit and pigeon.

So, yeah, I don't feel like God. More often, I feel like the emotion I'm trying to portray- so I've taken, recently, to keeping tissues at my desk.

And stress balls.

And candy.

I suppose you could romanticize it and make me sound all-powerful and whatnot, but if I were that, the story would be really, really boring.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:54 am
Writersdomain says...

Me? In control? :shock: I'm with Sam - writing is like walking a hyperactive dog. My characters murdered any God complex I might have felt in writing.

How I feel depends on exactly what I'm writing. Like Sam, it depends on the emotion of the part I'm writing. The best feeling in writing is when I feel completely in love with my characters. To the point where I just can't get over them, and I feel like crying because they feel like crying, and I'm so in love I think about them every moment of the day. I've had weeks on end where this has been the case. :oops:

Of course, there are the times I feel like pulling my hair out because of the character I was in love with two days before, but those rare, lovely moments make it all worthwhile. ^_^
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:00 am
Teague says...

Writing makes me feel like I have a purpose.

WHICH sounds pretentious at first read, but to me, my characters are real people with no other medium to communicate with the world- so it's my job to make their voices heard.

Which is a purpose, I suppose. xD

-St. Razorblade :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:27 am
Jennafina says...

*moved to Fiction Discussion and Tips*
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:35 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Writing for me feels like the inmates have taken over the asylum.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:45 am
Black Ghost says...

It make me feel satisfied, like I've been keeping something bottled up in me for so long and then finally let it out...like that. XD

MM

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:35 am
Nutty says...

I see what you guys mean... but I'm still ultimatly in control. I really don't like my main character, which means I can torture her with no signs of regret. But I don't think I'm so involved with my characters I couldn't hurt them... but I would feel sorry for my favorites lol
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:19 pm
Kylan says...

I'm in control until I get to a point where I'm writing a scene that I haven't planned out. And then the gravity of being able to do anything with this character/scene/setting hits me hard and the pen takes over. If I haven't storyboarded a scene exhaustively then I am no longer in control.

But I've got to agree with Dynamo. Writing makes me feel like a god. I can create and destroy, I can give hope or despair, I can mess with my character until his head spins. I can make people fall in love. I can make them hold a gun and go to war. I can make a new world. I can spin off of this world. It's a great feeling. Intoxicating.

I feel satisfied when I write something well. I feel even better when someone else likes what I've written. It's so wonderful when the words you put on paper resonate.

We've all got something to tell. And letting it out is one of the greatest feelings.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:51 pm
JabberHut says...

Ah, well...writing doesn't make me feel entirely like a god (or goddess, if you wanna get technical. :wink: ). Yes, I suppose I can make my characters do what they want to do, but...then what kind of character do I have?

My characters, I treat them as real people. I let them do what they want to do, I just type it on the computer (or write it if I'm out of town). It's they're story they're telling. I'm just the secretary.

Writing helps me escape life. If I'm having a stressful day, I'll come downstairs on my computer and hide in my own little world with all my characters. To make it easier to write a story, I pretend to be one of my characters. Sometimes I'll be a mean B, but sometimes I'll be a pretty pretty princess. Whichever it is, it gives me a front row seat to the show. ^^

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:58 pm
tinny says...

Writing makes me feel different, depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

Sometimes it makes me flail, and feel hopeless, becuase I have all there words choked up in my mind and I can't get them out on to paper fast enough, or I can't find the right was to put them. I am a very very slow writer because of this.

When the words do come flowing, it makes me very happy indeed.

Sometimes, when I write something good, that I like and other people seem too, it's a great feeling, like perhpas I am quite good at this writing jazz after all XD

But it doesn't make me feel like a God, not in the slightest. My characters have a lot of control over me, and what I do. I'm more like a vessel for them to be shared.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

You are all the colours in one, at full brightness.
— Jennifer Niven, 'All the Bright Places'