z

Young Writers Society

How does writing make you feel?

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:42 pm
alleycat13 says...

Ya know when you watch a movie and sometimes they have a quick little narration to tell you what the heck is going on? When I write, I feel like that voice. I don't feel in control. I feel like I'm telling a story that's already there. I just happen to have access to it and am doing my best to tell the truest version.

The best feeling though, is when you know you've written something really good. The plot is believable, the characters are intriguing, your interaction is sound, and the world is happy with your work. That's when I sit back and say--yeah, this is why I write.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:30 pm
Dynamo says...

I still think I'm a god, though.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:11 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

I feel frustrated and uninspired, and I'm beginning to think I'm not a writer at all.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:06 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

I'm not a god of my created worlds -- if anything, I'm only a tiny little voice in that world, seeing and recording the story. I watch the world come together and I try to explain it.

If anything, that world makes me feel humble and unnoticed, vulnerable.
ohmeohmy

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm
Ava says...

I certainly don't feel like a god. For me it's more like the story is already there, and I'm just trying to tell it the best that I can. Even in the case of killing off a character, I don't feel like it's me who ultimately decides. It's what seems right with the story.

Writing makes me frustrated more than anything. I can never seem to find the right words and get them to flow. Sometimes I hate what I've written with a passion and want to rip it to shreds and throw it in the fireplace. But at those rare times when the words just come to me, when I actually like what I've written, it's such a wonderful feeling. Like there might just be hope for me after all.

I feel such a roller coaster of emotions when I write, and sometimes I wonder why I put myself through it, but I can't just stop. If I did I think I'd explode. :shock:
"Don't worry, you're just as sane as I am..."

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:11 pm
Leja says...

... glad that I can rationally think things through.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:25 pm
alleycat13 says...

For me, my characters become real people/things. And, while they may evolve and develop themselves throughout the story, I find myself unable to force them to do things. I end up writing what I would like to happen--like a conflict between two friends or something--but I always end up scraping it because the reason for it is ridiculous or it clashes with what my characters' personalities.

There are always things I would like to write and include in one story, but I can't because it's just not how things are supposed to happen. Try as I might, I am never truly in control.

I know and accept that.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:06 pm
Pushca says...

Like I'm doing what I should be for once.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:49 pm
flytodreams says...

When I'm on a writing roll, I obsess about what I'm writing. Otherwise, I think I suck. Heck, writing is my life, even if I think I'm horrible.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:23 am
Fan says...

I don't feel like god wehn I'm writing. I feel more like a biographer telling the story of my characters.

Emotionally, I feel happy and sad depending on the situation.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:07 pm
Elelel says...

... I don't know. Depends.

I guess mostly I'd go with the hyperactive thing. Like, bouncing up and down, giggling with insane glee, not sleeping because it's not important, not eating because I forget, and talking nonsense to innocent passers-by eg "and then she said something and ... and ... it was like ... but then they ran away from him and ... but the dog stayed there!" which understandably makes the poor innocent people back away.

So I guess generally I feel insane.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:29 am
Mythic Writing says...

I feel like an innocent observer or one of the Moirai (Fates). Most of the time I am messing with the ancient myths of Egypt, Rome, Greece, Mesoamerica, etc, so I am usually an observer. When I throw in one of my many assorted characters to make the story mine, I feel like a Moirai, deciding their role in the world and what will happen to them.
Cause We are Gonna Be
Forever You and Me
You Will Always Keep Me High
Flighing High in the Sky of Love
~Lighthouse Family, High

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:10 am
Katharsis says...

I'd like to say I feel like I'm a good acquaintance of my characters, rather than a god in my worlds. While I know I control everything, I usually don't dwell on that fact. I just go with my knowledge and vision of the story and world, however nicely or cruelly it treats my creations. I guess I'm more of an observing than an interfering deity.

When I write fiction, I resume a bipolar state. I'm either extremely motivated and enthusiastic, or rather apathetic. If I'm in the latter mood, I just write in my journal instead, there's usually some facet of my day I can write about in excrutiating detail and investigate the implications of.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:21 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Control? What's that and how do you guys get it over your characters?

For me, the characters are almost entirely sentient and separate entities that have, for whatever reason, decided to spend some time in my head. I don't "develop" my characters, I "discover" them. When I'm writing, I feel privileged that they've allowed me to share their adventures. Sometimes, writing is the only thing that makes me feel like I have a purpose: if I can tell their stories, and tell them well, then I can do something approaching good in this world.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:49 pm
Meep says...

Sam wrote:I really don't feel in control at all. It's a bit like walking a hyperactive Retriever down the block, with characters- them tugging at you every which way, after each squirrel and rabbit and pigeon.

Hear, hear!
Only, it looks like a lazy old dog until you get it outside (ie: start writing), and then being outdoors turns it into a psychotic puppy.

I feel like I'm there, observing the story. When I'm actually writing, which is not as often as I should be, I feel like I'm actually "seeing" what's going on, and thus I have no control over what goes on. It's the same feeling as when I read, only with the added feeling of taking notes on a teacher/professor who talks to fast. ("Wait, slow down! - I can't type that fast!")
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

If I had control over the quote generator, I feel like I would put half of YWS in it.
— Kaia