z

Young Writers Society

Cringy Old Stories

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:23 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Now I’d like to start off by saying that authors shouldn’t beat themselves up or be ashamed of cringy stuff they wrote in the past. In fact, looking back at these old stories shows how much they’ve improved as a writer!

However, I think its okay to look back at these cringy old stories and laugh. So, tell me fellow authors, what are some of the cringiest things you’ve written? I’ll go first.

It was a fanfiction based on this roblox game called Piggy. It’s a survival horror game where one player gets to be Piggy (the killer) and everyone else has to solve puzzles while not getting caught. It started out as a joke parody of peppa pig but it somehow got popular enough that it got actual lore.
I used to be OBSESSED with this game, and there was one skin in particular that I thought was the coolest skin ever: Mr. Stitchy. The story I wrote was about Mr. Stitchy being this forest cryptid and lone wolf type dude who was sad all the time and had no friends. This character wasn’t even important to the game; it was just an event skin!
Last edited by GengarIsBestBoy on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:30 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

I used to really like Wings of Fire-- the book series. Now, some people may know this. I wrote a fanfiction about it, but that's not what I'm embarrassed about. Long ago, before I knew too much about the genre of fanfictions, I wrote a story based off of Wings of Fire, and everything was pretty much a ripoff of it heh.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:59 am
View Likes
deleted32 says...

A Batman fic I wrote [inspired by the lego batman games] featuring the villains as cats, AND complete with gay romance [although I was but in the single digits so at the time I didn't notice the boylove implications]
The plot was mostly this horrifyingly written love triangle between The Riddler, Two-Face, and Poison Ivy and uhhh yeah, I don't need to say anymore do I?
She who calls the stars to shine

122 Reviews

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:41 am
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

@Zyria
Speaking of romance, one time I tried writing this epic pokemon love story between a Gengar and a Furret.
Uhh…. It was absolutely bone wrenchingly horrible and no human being ever needs to be subjected to it

Random avatar

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:44 am
View Likes
deleted32 says...

Lmao, that reminds me of that one time I attempted to write a love story between Umbreon and Espeon and...it wasn't as bad as that Batman fic buuut it wasn't my best work either :P

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:30 am
View Likes
cookiesandcream123 says...

Ooh, Piggy!! I was also a fan of that game lol.

Anyways, a cringy old story I wrote was... a fanfiction of this character named Blackwood (from A Shadow Bright and Burning). SOO, for some reason, I had a HUGE crush on Blackwood (Idkwhydon'task), but he didn't have a happy ending in the series, so I wrote like 14 pages of a fanfic where he's happy and marries the main character, Henrietta.

Then I wrote about him in a school assignment. It was a weekly writing prompt thing, back when school was online due to COVID. The prompt was something like, "Describe one of the happiest days of your life" and cringy, dumb me started with, "One of the happiest days of my life recently is the day I met Blackwood..." X_X

Usually the teacher would leave a comment on my responses, but that time, he did not, rofl

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:55 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

My cringiest old story is probably this Warriors fanfiction that I can barely remember. I think it was something about the cats getting transported to this spaceship and having an office party. The story involved love, betrayal, and cats wearing neckties. I wrote it as a kind of spoof/ comedy thing, but I have a feeling the 'humor' must have been very unfunny xD
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:05 am
View Likes
VengefulReaper says...

Probably the very first draft of my novel that involved hot chocolate smuggling. The humor was terrible, the characters flat and boring, the world empty and the dialogue sounded worse than the Star Wars prequels (I love those movies but the dialogue is bad lol).

Not to mention the plot line made. No. Sense.

However, I do actually have a copy of it on my computer and I might post it here after I finish posting my novel.(Maybe for April Fools 👀)

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:34 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

@Liminality wrote:My cringiest old story is probably this Warriors fanfiction that I can barely remember. I think it was something about the cats getting transported to this spaceship and having an office party. The story involved love, betrayal, and cats wearing neckties.

Oh boy! This sounds compelling and creative! :) I also have an incredibly cringy warriors fanfiction that of course involved an extensive powerpoint to keep track of names / cat-colors / family trees / social dynamics. It was written in a sort of "journal entry format" so it'd be from one cat's POV and tell about that day in their life. Unlike the actual warrior's books there was little to no action, mostly just "today I ate a mouse, and learned how to fish, it's raining" etc.

The first ~novel~ I remember writing was also about cats, it was about 10 pages (handwritten in large print) and it was about how three pet cats went on a quest to defeat a witch with the power of the moon, I think I might have been in the story too encouraging the cats? I believe I wrote it when I was in first grade. I don't actually think there's anything cringy about this one - just cute!

I wrote a really stupid short story that I think?? hope?? I deleted off of YWS and I don't want to talk about it. lol I wrote it in 2012 and it was about a kid having the worst day of school ever and barfing during gym class. I considered it a "humor" piece but I believe the reviewers thought it was intended to be a "drama". Very awkward; though I still think some of the jokes are funny but probably only to myself. It was written in a sort of journal style too and I thought it would be cool / artsy to mispell or make-up some of the words to add "character" to the main narrator. UGHHHH
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

Random avatar

Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:25 pm
View Likes
deleted32 says...

I was really into Warriors around the ages 12-15 so I have dozens on fanfics haha. The earlier ones were kinda terrible though, and it was glaringly apparent that they were more like Warriors rip-offs then actual well-written Warriors fanfic :P The plot of one story was inspired by Mapleshade's Vengeance and the it was obvious the main character was based of the ol' gal. She even had the prefix 'Maple' :P
My cringiest old story is probably this Warriors fanfiction that I can barely remember. I think it was something about the cats getting transported to this spaceship and having an office party. The story involved love, betrayal, and cats wearing neckties. I wrote it as a kind of spoof/ comedy thing, but I have a feeling the 'humor' must have been very unfunny xD

Speaking of space cats haha I've had two stories that were about cats from outer-space. One was basically a rip-off of The Cat From Outer Space [this old Disney movie that I adored as a child], the other was a romance between a cat called Milkey-way and I don't remember the name of his lover :P
I personally think they aren't that much of a cringe fest but still :P The plots weren't original and were essentially rewrites of a Disney movie so :P

122 Reviews

Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:48 pm
GengarIsBestBoy says...

GengarIsBestBoy wrote:@Zyria
Speaking of romance, one time I tried writing this epic pokemon love story between a Gengar and a Furret.
Uhh…. It was absolutely bone wrenchingly horrible and no human being ever needs to be subjected to it

I feel like I should tell y’all the details of this story for no particular reason.

So, I tend to make up stories in my head before going to sleep, and when I was really big into pokémon a couple years ago, I had the idea of a Gengar and Furret falling in love. The story kind of changed each time, but the basic premise was this: a Haunter possesses a Clefable, and somehow evolves into Gengar in the process (I guess this was some AU where Gengar isn’t a trade evolution). Then he runs away to a pokemon park and meets a furret, and they have a friends-to-lovers arc. Sometimes it includes a trainer (who’s clearly a self-insert) who adds them to her team. Sometimes Furret dies and comes back as a ghost to be with Gengar.

Now, in 2022 I decided “Hey! What if I make this old story into a reality?” So I started writing the story. It was a recipe for disaster; it was a romance story, a fanfiction, and it was told from first person. I cannot write any of these things.

So here’s how the story went (it differentiated a lot from the story i told in my head):

The mc was a Haunter who was an outcast in the ghost world because they didn’t know how to use any moves. They had a bunch of fake friends; a group of ghost-types who were apparently the coolest ghosts in the ghost world called the Graveyard Ghouls.

They’re playing truth or dare, and they dare Haunter to possess someone (because they know Haunter can’t do it). So then they all go into the mortal world and they find a Clefable. Haunter possesses the Clefable and it works—but the Graveyard Ghouls ditch them and they wake up by the lake. Somehow, they’ve evolved into a Gengar.

Then they get chased out of the lake by a Gyarados, then they run into the forest. They curl up into a ball and cry on the ground trying to cope with the fact that the Clefable they possessed is most likely dead. Then they meet a shiny furret, and that’s where it ends (i never finished it)

Uhh… yeah, that’s the story. It’s 10x worse than I’m describing here, trust me. I may one day make a forum thread or something where I share it since I still have ir for some reason

122 Reviews

Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:03 pm
GengarIsBestBoy says...

cookiesandcream123 wrote:Then I wrote about him in a school assignment. It was a weekly writing prompt thing, back when school was online due to COVID. The prompt was something like, "Describe one of the happiest days of your life" and cringy, dumb me started with, "One of the happiest days of my life recently is the day I met Blackwood..." X_X

Reminds me of the time I brought Piggy into a school assignment. The assignment was to write a super crazy excuse note from the pov of your parents. I wrote one where my mom got transported into the game and got chased by Robby

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare