z

Young Writers Society

What is your favourite short story collection?

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:52 am
Liminality says...

Let's revive Fiction Discussion! :D

As I grow older, I'm beginning to realise just how much of my life was dominated by reading short stories. Outside of maybe that one time I never really had a book series I was 'obsessed' with, nor have I had the patience to finish 600-page novels (at least, not yet ;) ).

One of the short story writers I remember loving through childhood and through being a teenager is Neil Gaiman. I have his collection, 'M is for Magic' sitting on my desk right now. The introduction to the book is one of the few things that moved me recently, when I was re-reading it. Each of the stories in this book focuses on some fantasy / sci-fi/ speculative scenario and creates a vivid world and lore in just a short period of time.

Some of my favourite random things from this book:
- a plot revolving around a scam in a fantasy setting
- a cat (who's a hero)
- a character who eats lightning bugs (if I remember correctly haha)
- the Holy Grail showing up in a charity shop

So what are your favourite collections of short stories? (Or if you've never read a collection or anthology before, feel free to name individual writers or even individual short stories you remember enjoying!)
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:26 pm
View Likes
craftryebaritonejuno says...

My favorite short story collection has to be Stephen King's "Nightmares & Dreamscapes". It's got some awesome, creepy stories and something for everyone. Definitely worth checking out if you're into a little bit of spookiness!

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain