z

Young Writers Society

How to get unstuck on a story?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 pm
kryptonianmenace says...

I've been having a hard time adding to my story lately because I can't think of fresh ideas, and when I do write scenes, they're short snippets of dialogue that I wish were longer and more descriptive.
I haven't posted any of it on here yet, but my story is about a disabled superhero and his band of villains he fights. I've been trying to avoid writing fight scenes because they don't interest me and I'm not super confident in my ability to write them. I want to focus more on the relationships between the characters and how they deal with their differences.
Does anyone have tips on how to spark new ideas or how to write longer scenes?

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:53 pm
IcyFlame says...

I find a lot of my inspiration comes from reading, so the more I read the better I write!

It's also really easy to get caught up in trying to make things perfect in a first draft where actually it's often better to power on through and just make it to the end. If you need a fight scene, put one in, however rubbish you might feel it is at the time! Then take a little time away from it and come back to edit :)

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Mon May 31, 2021 4:45 am
Atticus says...

Hey Krypton! I second everything Icy said. Perfectionism is a trap that I fall into a lot as a writer. I've had to let go of that and just focus on putting words on the page. I can edit them later or even completely rewrite them. First drafts don't have to be good, they just have to be done. And reading books (preferably books in the genre you're writing) will also help!

Something else that's been helpful for me is to write an outline. Some writers like to plot literally every single curve of their plot, but that's not me. I just like saying "Here's what I want to happen in this chapter", basically giving my story some type of direction. It keeps me on track as I'm writing and helps to guide me when I sit down to write.

Hope this is helpful!
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

215 Reviews

Reviews: 215
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:23 pm
WinnyWriter says...

There are literally so many writers on Insta that you can follow for regular writing tips and advice. I know that's not really a professional source or whatever, but like I said, there are tons of tips and inspiration if you follow the right writing accounts.

One is not born, but rather becomes a woman.
— Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex