z

Young Writers Society

How to Write A Retelling? Any Help?

Reviews: 1
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm
inkdreams says...

How to write a retelling?

I am planning to write a retelling of the story of Medusa. It is going to be in the fantasy genre. How do I write a retelling?
Are there any articles, websites or resources?

Sent from my LM-X220PM using Tapatalk

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey @inkdreams!

Retellings are my favourite, to both read and write. Silk, one of my WIPs, is a retelling of Beauty & The Beast.

I don't really have any advice on how, to be honest, they just sort of happen. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions about it though to get you started:

1) how faithful to the original do you plan on being? What would you change?
2) what setting are you going to use - is this going to be set in Ancient Greece or elsewhere/in a different time?
3) how is magic going to work there (is there magic or is it replaced by something else)?
4) what perspective are you going to use - Perseus, Medusa, or somebody else?

Among my favourite retellings are:

1) The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. A very faithful retelling.
2) The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - completely different setting of four different fairytales, set in the future.
3) Circe by Madeline Miller, a very faithful retelling with a reworked ending.

I recommend that you read some retellings as inspiration and research - Circe is definitely a good one for you if you haven't read it before because like Medusa, Circe is a female villain from Greek mythology and it's a really, really excellent book.

Sorry I don't have more advice, but I would love to read it if you post any!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:54 pm
View Likes
inkdreams says...

StellaThomas wrote:Hey @inkdreams!

Retellings are my favourite, to both read and write. Silk, one of my WIPs, is a retelling of Beauty & The Beast.

I don't really have any advice on how, to be honest, they just sort of happen. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions about it though to get you started:

1) how faithful to the original do you plan on being? What would you change?
2) what setting are you going to use - is this going to be set in Ancient Greece or elsewhere/in a different time?
3) how is magic going to work there (is there magic or is it replaced by something else)?
4) what perspective are you going to use - Perseus, Medusa, or somebody else?

Among my favourite retellings are:

1) The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. A very faithful retelling.
2) The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - completely different setting of four different fairytales, set in the future.
3) Circe by Madeline Miller, a very faithful retelling with a reworked ending.

I recommend that you read some retellings as inspiration and research - Circe is definitely a good one for you if you haven't read it before because like Medusa, Circe is a female villain from Greek mythology and it's a really, really excellent book.

Sorry I don't have more advice, but I would love to read it if you post any!
Oh thank you so much! This is great advice! I will definitely share it with you whenever its finished! I'm still in the planning stage >_<

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 pm
StellaThomas says...

I'm glad I could help!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:29 pm
inkdreams says...

StellaThomas wrote:I'm glad I could help!
[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 pm
keystrings says...

Another thing to consider for retellings can be how you want to form these characters, especially in the title piece of Medusa. This all goes into what kind of setting/storyline there will be though, as she's certainly a complex character that has an extensive background to her becoming such a major Greek figure in mythology.

For a few examples, her fall from grace could be documented in a high school setting pretty easily, or even in college to add a bit of maturity to the rest of the cast. However, her reflection being used against her with Perseus could be placed in modern times, or have a traditional twist.

It's all about what you want the story to mean and appear outside of the usual legend. I'm curious if you continued to plan this story out!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro