z

Young Writers Society

Books Set in Space

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed May 15, 2019 6:06 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for books set in space - fantasy or sci-fi, either way is cool!

I know a few on my TBR, like the Lunar Chronicles for instance, but I don't know the space realm in fiction very well so I would love to hear your recommendations (and slightly off-topic discussions of the recommended books maybe xD).

So, if you have any recommendations, I hope you'll post below :D
always daydreaming, always clumsy

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Wed May 15, 2019 10:59 pm
View Likes
Feltrix says...

This is more about satire and comedy than actual science fiction, but The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its sequels are good.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

If you like political reads, check out Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald. It's like Game of Thrones but on the moon. Definitely worth a read.

Also, check out some of the Star Wars Expanded Universe if that's something that interests you. There are a metric ton of Star Wars books written by all different authors that tackle different concepts and stories in the vast universe.

Hitchhiker's Guide I second.

If you have Amazon Prime, check out The Expanse -- it's a TV show, but it's another huge series set in space. There's a novel series as well.

Other than that, I'd just recommend browsing the shelves at a local library if that's an option to you. Often libraries have "less in-demand" books that might end up being a good read or pique your interest in different ways than the most popular recommendations.
stay off the faerie paths

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 am
View Likes
Shady says...

So it's been a lot of years since I've read it but if I remember correctly "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov was about robots working in space.

C.S. Lewis's "The Space Trilogy" (Out of Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) is another book that it's been forever since I've read but is also set in space.

I don't think I could give you a synopsis of any of them but I do remember highly enjoying reading all of them when I did lol.

I also third Hitchhiker's Guide it's one of my all-time favs!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu May 16, 2019 2:54 am
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

I'm definitely reading the Hitchhiker's Guide - I'm curious to know its appeal and would like to be enthralled as well ;)

Thank you everyone for the reccs so far! I'll definitely check them out!
always daydreaming, always clumsy

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 am
View Likes
jster02 says...

One of my favorite books has to be Enders game. It’s really thought provoking for a book about aliens. (Then again, there are probably a lot of thought provoking books aliens. I just haven’t been reading the right ones).
What's the point of success if it makes me miserable?

I send you buckets full of stars, the prettiest rainbow I've ever seen and a really adorable unicorn
— Zenith