z

Young Writers Society

Detectives, thrillers, mysteries

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:09 pm
Lauren2010 says...

I'm starting to do some research for a novella I want to revise next year! The main problem I'm up against is it's a mystery/thriller/sort of a detective/crime story? And I have never written one of those, and haven't read a mystery novel in at least ten years.

So I'd love your recommendations! What are some of your favorite novels in any of these genres? Bonus points if it's a novella, if it leans literary, if it's set in the American Midwest, or if it incorporates supernatural/magic/fantasy in some way (whether that stuff turns out to be true or not). Thanks in advance!
Got YWS?

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:57 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

Hm, Sherlock Holmes? I know there is some novella-length works featuring him (correct me if I'm wrong), like "A Study in Scarlet" or "The Hound of the Baskevilles"

I read a novel called Truly Devious a while ago--it's not literary or supernatural in a sense--but it's still really done well in my opinion. This is story set in a school--which was the site of an infamous unsolved murder case. The MC comes to this school as a student the intention of solving this mystery.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:29 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Boy is obsessed with The Dresden Files which is supernatural detective stories in Chicago. I don't know if they're any good, he has terrible taste in novels, but he sure does read a lot of them.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

276 Reviews

Reviews: 276
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:22 pm
View Likes
rosette says...

Agatha Christie mystery novels are all I read lol.

The one I recommend to every single person on the planet would be And Then There Were None aka Ten Little Indians. But all of her novels are fabulous (especially when it's Hercule Poirot solving the case).
She does have quite a few novellas, such as Three Blind Mice and The Cornish Mystery, so there's that?
On earth I long to be like Him

Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences.
— Dr. Harrison Wells, The Flash