z

Young Writers Society

Favorite books by women authors

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:33 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk says...

@Holysocks: I agree! Somehow most of the books I read (middle grade and YA with the very occasional chapter book/picture book) are written by female authors. That's kind of odd, isn't it? Though in the classics area, most I read are by male.

Dragon Slippers was awesome! *makes note to oneself to reread* Though my personal favorite was Tuesday at the Castle series. It was just a fun romp that satisfied the tween me who loved whimsy and unpredictability.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is probably my favorite by Jessica Day George! I vaguely remember reading Dragon Slippers at one point but I wasn't a huge fan. I absolutely adore myth and legend re-tellings, though, so this reimagining of "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" hit me in just the right place.

Hilari Bell is my favorite author in the history of ever. I highly recommend The Goblin Wood for a book full of anti-heroes with no real villains but some serious villainy going on. The Wizard Test is a great middle-grade novel with some similar themes, especially exploring racism and equality among people. I haven't read her sci-fi novels, but I've been looking forward to it, and I'm excited to see how good they are!

Tamora Pierce is one I'll have to third as well. If you like slightly-cheesy fantasy, especially girl-power fantasy featuring awesome women and overall great conflicts large and small, check out anything she's written. I highly recommend her Circle of Magic Quartet, part of the Emelan series, as a starting point. The main characters are Sandry, Tris, Briar, and Daja, four young mages who become something of a slow-burn found family along with their mentors. It's beautiful.

For a good late-middle-grade/early-YA read, I second Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. I found it to be much more earnest and emotional than the Hunger Games trilogy; the series as a whole deals with a lot that THG also dealt with, but through an urban fantasy lens featuring a city underneath a city. Similar to Harry Potter, the reader follows Gregor as he grows up throughout the series and faces various issues that grow more adult as he does. Definitely worth a read, and then a re-read.
stay off the faerie paths

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:21 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

I TALK ABOUT JESSICA DAY GEORGE ALL THE TIME I JUST

I LOVE

DRAGON SLIPPERS SO MUCH. All of Jessica Day George’s stuff is just... <3 I love her dearly.

Ofc J.K. Rowling, Suzanne Collins, and Stephanie Meyer have a place in my heart. But yeah I’m pretty basic! I haven’t been reading much lately. I look forward to reading everyone’s recommendations :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:58 am
View Likes
paperforest says...

I am sorry to say that until about five years ago, the majority of my favourite authors were dead British guys. However, that has changed! A few of my favourites:

Diana Wynne Jones - I especially love her Chrestomanci books, Enchanted Glass, and Homeward Bounders, among others. Her books are so easy to read, yet every time I reread them there's something I didn't notice before. It might just be that I grew up immersed in the "British" writing style (I swear it's a thing), but her books feel like home.

Ursula LeGuin - I've only read the first two Earthsea books so far, and they are like things of nature - the first time I read them I mistook slow-paced for boring, but now that I'm rereading them, I realize that they're meant to make you slow down and live and learn with the characters, and they are beautiful and wise. I would also recommend her collected non-fiction books, The Language of The Night and Words Are My Matter. My copy of The Language of The Night is filled with bookmarks that I've been meaning to go back to.

Marissa Meyer - I absolutely loved the Lunar Chronicles, it's one of the few series' I've read that switches point of view characters between books in a way that expands the story without ignoring the problems of the previous books' POV characters. (And can I just say that I'm in love with all of her characters? I am.) It's sci-fi with fairytale inspiration, and I think you could almost call it cyberpunk.

Catherynne M. Valente - I've only read her Fairyland series (The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland etc,), but it's beautiful and odd and feels sort of like Wonderland and Oz and fairytales and maybe a dash of Shakespeare and also lots and lots of delicious words and images and colours. I think my favourite book is the third one, or perhaps the last one. You sort of grow through them, as September does.

Whoops, they're all fantasy... Anyways, that's probably enough for now!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 am
AlyTheBookworm says...

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite authors- if not my favorite. She writes fantasy. I only recently discovered her when my dad recommended me her Farseer Trilogy, but her writing style and talent for characters, worldbuilding, and storytelling immediately blew me away. I can honestly say that her books have impacted the way I look at storytelling in general and I've really fallen in love with her characters. They feel very real and human, virtuous and selfless while having real, relatable flaws and motives (selfish and otherwise). She takes tired fantasy tropes like the royal-blooded assassin, animal companions, and magic, and makes them feel fresh and original. I wasn't expecting to like her books at first, but they've quickly become favorites of mine. :)

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon