z

Young Writers Society

Podcasts? Podcasts.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:18 am
View Likes
Evander says...

I've found some of my favorite pieces of fiction within podcasts. The medium allows for so many different types of stories to be told in heart wrenching and knee-slapping ways. Voice actors can turn a script from good to great with their delivery. Heck, one of my favorite stories of all time is a comedy D&D podcast where a good majority of the dialogue is off the cuff.

So, what are your favorite podcasts? Do you have any recommendations? Any favorite genres?
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:33 am
Kazumi says...

Me, I don't really consume fiction in the form of podcasts. I see (lol) it like a radio program, but you're not necessarily tuning in through a radio. You just listen to people talk, and it's alright to listen to while drawing or working because it's not as overpowering as all the hardcore J-EDM I have in my playlist.

They're relaxing too, because you just listen to conversations. You know how fun it is to listen to friends chat or for two enemies to beef it out on air? It's not rigid and scripted from bottom to top, it's just a fun, natural exchange of ideas.

Sometimes when I travel by road in the noontime, I get to listen to drama in the radio. They're radio adaptations of the love stories of real people. The only problem I got there is sometimes it feels like the characters are just trying to dispense information just for the benefit of the viewers because the script is almost all-dialogue and unlike comics, theater or videos, the medium does not have visuals. So it doesn't feel like they're talking like actual human beings sometimes.

I like Digibro and Best Guy Ever's Eromanga-sensei Every Week. There they talk about the then-popular anime of the same name, every week. Because of the anime's incompetence, they usually end up furiously ragging on it all throughout, and that's why it's fun. Any discussion podcast is fun for me because it's informative and you can listen to it while travelling without getting carsick, on top of the above reasons.

I don't consume a lot of podcasts, so I'm kinda narrow about the medium. I appreciate its unique aspects very much though.
Last edited by Kazumi on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
top kek

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:42 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

My favorite genres are the ones that stray in the fantasy and science-fiction genres. While I'm finally starting to find a love for realistic fiction novels, I don't feel the same way about podcasts. The ones I've been listening to lately are Welcome to Night Vale and Alice Isn't Dead. I'm thinking of listening to The Adventure Zone after seeing so much love for it online, but I don't think that's happening in the near future.

The only exception to the realistic podcasts is Nancy, which focuses on all sorts of LGBTQ+ issues. I don't get to talk much about queer stuff away from the screen, so it's nice learning more about it from the podcast. The people doing also have nice chemistry, and I enjoy listening to them teasing each other.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

I sometimes listen to podcasts where it's just a few hosts having a conversation about a topic, but I'm very much inclined towards the fictional side of the medium.

In terms of hosts just having a discussion, I listen to Opening Arguments; Reply All; My Brother, My Brother, and Me; and 'Til Death Do Us Blart. OA is about law, RA is about the internet, MBMBAM is about comedy/advice, and TDDUB is about rewatching Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 every single year.

@saentiel - The Adventure Zone is a really great podcast! The first two arcs can be a little difficult to listen to, but it really starts to pick up once it gets to Murder on the Rockport Limited. Seriously, the characters are really vibrant and the storytelling has caused me to cry on multiple occasions.

Have you heard about The Bright Sessions? It's a podcast where people with supernatural abilities attend therapy sessions. I'd have to say that it's probably one of my top five podcasts.

I'll definitely have to check out Nancy at some point!
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:40 pm
Mageheart says...

I have heard about The Bright Sessions! Coincidentally, a writer I follow on Tumblr was mentioning it just this morning, and I was considering checking it out. I didn't know what it was about, but it looks like I'd be interested in it from that description!

(Speaking of that wonderful author I follow, she's making a podcast. I'm not sure when it will be out, but it's meant to be the podcast from her novel. It's very Night Vale-esque, so I'm getting the vibe that I'll love it.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

I haven't really listened to many podcasts because reading is so much faster than listening for me, but it's something I should definitely do more. This podcast isn't fiction, but I really love Writing Excuses - it's so helpful! And really funny at times.
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:44 pm
View Likes
Nobunaga says...

The only podcasts I've ever listened to are WtNV and Radiolab. They're both really good in my opinion. Radiolab talks about a whole range of topics. They read stories and they have some cool like sciency stuff there.
"Be the butthole" - Lareine, 2018

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

@Saentiel I wanted to put in another mention/recommendation for The Adventure Zone! There is a slow start, but I'm around 20 episodes or so in and I absolutely love the podcast! I've also casually listened to My Brother, My Brother and Me though I prefer the former. The characters are very rich in The Adventure Zone and I'm excited to keep listening because the podcast is hilarious and wonderful and immersive as well.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 am
View Likes
Lava says...

I started listening to Wonderful! (part of the MBMBAM crew), thanks to @Lauren2010, and I really love it! It's quickly become one of my faves. I do need to listen to the other couple's medical related one.
Also, this reminded me to get back to The Adventure Zone, which I can now do as I take the bus to work!

I used to love Lexicon Valley, but I get a little tired of the current host.

I also love following Nature Podcast for some cool science talk!

Boy makes me listen to Revolutions when we drive, which is pretty awesome to listen to but I do not have the mental capcity to withhold that information.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 am
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

OH BOY do you want to know about the other podcasts I adore? (Thanks @Lava for dragging me in here <3)

Storytelling / Narrative
The Adventure Zone, as others have said, is beyond fab. I also enjoy Friends at the Table (another tabletop gaming podcast) for similar storytelling adventures. Welcome to Nightvale is also a total classic.

Review Shows
I'm very much enjoying listening to Gilmore Guys, which isn't making any new episodes, but is two guys watching and talking about every episode of Gilmore Girls. They're a bit rough around the edges at the start, but really start to get their legs in the second season.

Banging Book Club is a fun listen to three British girls talking about books about sex, gender, sexuality, etc.

I Don't Even Own a Television is maybe one of my best discoveries in this category...two guys reviewing TERRIBLE books so you don't have to read them. It's fantastic.

I don't know if it counts as a review show, but I'm also enjoying going through old episodes of The Indoor Kids, which is Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon chatting about video games.

The McElroy Suite of Products
I listen to almost everything those good boys do. My Brother, My Brother, and Me is a good classic (their humor did take me some time to adjust to, but I love listening now).

I also like Wonderful, as Lava said, which is Griffin and his wife Rachel talking about things they love; Sawbones, which is Justin and his wife Dr Sydnee, discussing weird medical history; and Shmanners, which is Travis and his wife Theresa talking about manners. Shmanners is definitely my least favorite of the couple-casts, but they're all quite enjoyable.

Learning is Magic
I don't listen to it enough, though I should cause it's fabulous, but 99% Invisible is sooooo good if you're interested in design. Plus, you get to listen to Roman Mars and his sweet sweet voice talk to you about why stuff is designed that way.

Sexplanations is another fav, which is a sort of extension of Dr. Lindsey Doe's youtube channel of the same name. She brings on folks to talk about sex every week and she's just such a lovely person it's always a pleasure to listen to. Will say, if you're not interested in fairly explicit (though clinically correct) discussions of sex then I would avoid this one. It's all in the name of sex-ed and body positivity, but I get that it's not everyone's jam to listen to.

Other Chatty Shows
Mostly, I listen to podcasts that are smart folks just having conversations with one another. If you like the format of MBMBaM, but aren't the biggest fan of the humor, I recommend Dear Hank and John (with Hank & John Green of vlogbrother's fame). It's one of my fav things they do, and my partner who is not involved in any other aspect of Hank & John's canon really enjoys the podcast too.

I've also been listening to Hank's new podcast with his wife Katherine called Delete This, where they talk about Hank's tweets in the past week and stuff he shouldn't have tweeted. It's fine, but I mostly listen because I think Katherine is charming and not because I think it's particularly interesting to listen to Hank talk about stuff he tweets.

One I don't have in my podcast feed anymore, but definitely enjoyed, is Crybabies which is a chatty podcast with Susan Orlean and another lady who I can't remember and they bring on guests to talk about the things that make them cry.
Got YWS?

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:40 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

I listened to Rhett and Link's interview-y podcast, Ear Biscuits, for a while a couple years back. Also listened to SourceFed's podcast here and there before the whole company dIED because I loved the cast and they had some fun improv humor bits. SourceFed died and I got tired of Rhett and Link, so--

I really need to get going with TAZ and start listening to MBMBAM (though I've listened to plenty of clips from that, lel)

The only podcast I "frequent" anymore (quotations because the times I listen to it are pretty erratic, even) is Welcome to Nightvale, which is gr8. Love it. Need to get to Alice Isn't Dead and the previously mentioned aaand. There's one that Nightvale promoted that's written/directed by a guy from Neutral Milk Hotel (but I forget the podcast's name). I wanna check that out, though, if I ever recall it.
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:32 pm
View Likes
Nobunaga says...

@Mea I'm really loving writing excuses. It's so helpful!
"Be the butthole" - Lareine, 2018

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 am
View Likes
Feltrix says...

I've listened to a fair number of podcasts. Welcome to Night Vale and Alice Isn't Dead were both amazing. Within the Wires kind of bored me, honestly. Life After was kind of fun, but I really was just listening to it to pass the time, not because I enjoyed it a lot. In conclusion,

ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD!

ALL HAIL!!
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Yeah, like Lava, thanks to Lauren (THANKS LAUREN) I've started listening to Sawbones. It's all about medical history! Fun facts I've learnt include: The choker trend started to hide people's goitre, hearse drivers used to double as ambulance drivers, cholera was discovered by a guy called John Snow... it's great!

Also, I loved the first season of Serial though I haven't listened to subsequent ones.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:57 pm
View Likes
Elinor says...

There are so many, but for now I'm going to recommend The Walk by BBC/Panoply - it's an apocalyptic old-time radio drama series and I don't want to say too much about it but it's really well done.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon