z

Young Writers Society

Favorite Genre?

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:16 pm
popsicles says...

I really want to write a fanfiction, a good one! what are here the most used genres? and does anyone knows a good plot?.... thanks already if you comment :D
MUSIC IS LIFE

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:28 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Well howdy there writer.

I was gonna try and answer your question but I don't really have that much information to go with it. Do you possibly mean a genre outside of fanfic? Or are you trying to decide what fandom to use as a base considering what is most popular on YWS?

I can help you to the best of my ability, there just needs to be a bit more background information for my tastes. If you haven't established what it will be a fan fic of or even a loose grip on the plotline, then we've got a lot of work to do.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

Random avatar

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:26 pm
popsicles says...

LadyLizzLovelace wrote:Well howdy there writer.

I was gonna try and answer your question but I don't really have that much information to go with it. Do you possibly mean a genre outside of fanfic? Or are you trying to decide what fandom to use as a base considering what is most popular on YWS?

I can help you to the best of my ability, there just needs to be a bit more background information for my tastes. If you haven't established what it will be a fan fic of or even a loose grip on the plotline, then we've got a lot of work to do.

Okay well I want to write a fanfiction about Niall maybe but is he ''populair'' enough here?
MUSIC IS LIFE

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:07 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

The easiest way to explain it is like this.
This isn't wattpad and most of the novels that take place on site, are OC centered. Fanfics still happen once in a blue moon but for me to judge how popular one band member might be, when I barely see any fanfic around the site, is tough to answer. You have full freedom to write such a work onsite, I would just like to explain to you now that it's not a popular genre as a whole on YWS.

I personally have no experience with fanfic outside of one DW story when I was 12. The community on YWS tends to view fanfics as childish and you might suffer a bit from the reviews you get.
I'm not trying to discourage you from writing it if this is your plotline of choice but it will just lead to some negative side effects. Last fanfic I remember passing through here, really got attacked. But then I have some friends who wrote some really epic SW fanfics that went over really well. All depends on who happens to catch your work in the green room.

So that's just a bit of context for you and that's really all I can say to help you. Like I said before, I don't have much experience with genre outside of a few reviews way back.

Good luck to you though.
And once you reply to this, could you please tag me instead of quoting me? The only reason I knew you replied is because another member pointed it out to me.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

Random avatar

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 pm
popsicles says...

@LadyLizzLovelace okay thanks!
MUSIC IS LIFE

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 am
Radrook says...

popsicles wrote:I really want to write a fanfiction, a good one! what are here the most used genres? and does anyone knows a good plot?.... thanks already if you comment :D

All plots have been already employed actually so it is really a matter of choosing among one of them and giving it a new twist. An example of this is Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet where the union of two lovers is opposed by the families. This plot was the basis for the film titled West side Story and the twist was that these were two cultures and the problem wasn't the opposition of two families but the relationship but of two opposing gangs the Jets and the Sharks with a different socio-political dynamics involved. Compare the film with the original plot and you will notice how the film takes certain liberties such as not having Maria[Juliet] kill herself at the end.
Yet the basic plot is adhered to.
https://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/play ... eo-juliet/

The same holds true with Shelly's Frankenstein. That theme of a scientist being overwhelmed by his own creation has been employed numerous times, such as in the film Mimic where a species of ant is created in a lab and undergoes a mutation that places mankind in jeopardy, but each with its own unique twist.

So it isn't really a matter of a dearth of plots or of inventing a totally unique one, it's a matter of finding one and then giving it your own personal touch.
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy