z

Young Writers Society

In Need of Muse

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:23 am
inkweaverinfinity7 says...

Here's the idea:

In a society of anthromorphs (not sure if that makes any sense), but animals with human traits, a ship crash-lands on a strange planet. There is only one survivor. He is rescued by a local priestess who nurses him back to health, all the while fighting past demons that she cannot seem to escape. The two fall in love, despite her reservations, and she manages to convince him that they need to notify his people that he is still alive.

But that's all I've got right now.

HELP!!

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:48 am
Lauren2010 says...

Hi! So a few questions that might help get the ball rolling:

Whose perspective is the story told from? The nurse or the survivor?
What does the main character want? Alternatively, what concrete problem do they have that can realistically be solved during the course of the story?
What's the bigger/perhaps more abstract problem the character/world is facing that may or may not be solved during the course of the story?

Potential problems (as in, problems the characters might want/need to solve) just from your short description: cross-species love (assuming only one of these characters is an antamorph), injuries from the plane crash, the priestess' past demons, alerting the survivor's people that he's alive.

You've got a great place to start, it seems, with a lot of conflict you could choose from! My suggestion would be to decide what the MAIN conflict of the story is (and imagine the moment where the cinflict comes to a head -- the characters attempt to solve the Big Problem as the climax). Then, pick a point that feels like a beginning or at least an easy entry point, and write until you meet that climax.

First drafts can be a lot of guesswork. If it feels messy or like you don't know what you're doing, you're doing it right. Good luck!
Got YWS?

Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn