z

Young Writers Society

Discussing Shakespeare's Othello

Have you read Othello before?

Yes! I'm re-reading it for this thread.
17%
Yes! I'm just going to comment as things I remember come up.
67%
No, this is my first time.
17%

Total votes : 6

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Shakespeare's Othello
Full Text

Hello everyone! So, I'm sort of trying this out. Let me tell you what this is.

I really want to talk about Shakespeare's plays because I'm more likely to read them if I actually have someone to discuss them with. That being said, I didn't want to create a reading club because that seemed too isolated, so instead, I made a thread!

How it Works

Each week or so I'm going to be reading a part of the play Othello, and when I'm done reading whatever I'm reading, I'll post my thoughts about the play. I'd love it if other people would read along with me, and post their thoughts, or come talk about what they remember if they have already finished the play.

The goal will be discussion about the acts and scenes to better understand what they're doing in terms of the general things that writers do. I think one of the reasons Shakespeare is popular is because he had to show, not tell, and I want to know what you see in what he's showing, versus what I see. I'm usually way off the mark on some things because my perspective is very different.

Basically: I'm going to be talking about scenes and acts progressively and I'd like to talk about them with you.

I want to hear your thoughts on the scenes and acts as well!

To keep organized, I'm going to post in bold at the top of the post what scene and act I'm on, just to keep everyone on the same page, and what act we're talking about.

If this goes really well, I'll pick another Shakespeare play and do it again ^^! If no one talks, then I'll just be collecting my thoughts and that will be that. v_v

For those of you like me who don't own a copy of Shakespeare's Othello, I've put a link to it in its entirety where it's hosted on MIT at the top of the page. It is a very long page, but it should work out alright.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:46 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Oooh! Count me in! I love Othello and would be keen to give it another reread and chat about it.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:56 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Yay <33 I'm going to read through Scene I Act I this week, so you can go ahead and jump into that with me!

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:58 pm
Aley says...

Okay, so I finished the first scene of the first act. I have to say it's an interesting way to start a play. He drops you right into what's going on with just complaining to introduce the majority of the characters.

Personally I feel like Iago is stirring up trouble, but it's hard to tell at this point without hearing a monologue from him. As for Roderigo, he seems to be easy to manipulate, trusting. He doesn't counter what Iago is saying much, and follows along with the plan quickly.

He might be more willing to follow along considering he is in love with the daughter of Barbantio, or so it seems considering his proposal to her father for her, but we'll find out more later.

One of the tropes that I know shakespeare uses is that long winded people can oftentimes end up the bad guys. People who are good at speaking very well tend to fall under either that category, or the main character category in these stories.

The scene's length itself was short, but it involves a lot of crucial information, and introduces us to what will probably be the primary conflict, the "Moor."

What are you guys seeing?

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:18 am
Mea says...

Aaaah I'm going to have to be careful not to bring up spoilers. He certainly does set up the conflict to be around the 'Moor,' and I forgot you don't actually get his name in this scene. They really do quickly set up that Iago has no loyalty to his master the 'Moor,' since he's willing to tell the father that his daughter has run away to be with him.

Ah, Iago has such a way with words. I'll say no more there. :D
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing