z

Young Writers Society

Do you prefer past or present tense?

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:30 pm
ChiravianSkies says...

I really like past tense for anything that I write in third person, which is like 99% of the stuff I do. It's so engrained that if I ever see something written in third-person present tense, then my mind automatically switches it to past-tense. :P
If I ever do something in first-person, it will [i]always[i/] be in present tense, though. I'd much prefer to write in past-tense, but for some reason if I attempt first-person past-tense, then I just end up jumping between tenses so much, so I just end up going with present. It's more consistent lol

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am
Horisun says...

I use present tense. I don't know why but it's the default way I start writing.
She/Her

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:44 pm
EverLight says...

For me. that depends. I tend to write in past tense. It's the easiest one to write in. I also like writing in future tense. (You all haven't seen me write in that one yet) I tend to avoid present tense. It doesn't sound quite as good. But perspective? I adore first person prospective. It automatically fixes the problem of you the writer narrating the story. And it really personalizes things. Then again. Third person is the easiest one to write in. So I'd recommend writing in third person prospective and past tense. I do.
I'm winning at life!

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:49 am
OofOof1 says...

I would have to say passed tense.
Who agreed on this?

hi
listen here, you don't need to post your food on social media in order to eat it. :pirate3:

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm
keystrings says...

I tend to use the past tense in more fantasy-esque stories, although my nano project from last year was in the third person, present tense to serve as a challenge to myself. Most typically I will use third person, so I jump between past or present for whichever story I am working on.

I prefer using the past tense I think in most things, and that's just because I usually enjoy reading it the most.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon