z

Young Writers Society

In need of a plot!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:33 am
JennyImStory says...

I have with me a cool concept, that goes as follows:

There are people who gave live twice as long as a normal human, are twice as fast, and their bodies are symmetrical from right to left. Meaning if you have a freckle above your left eye, it's over the right as well and so forth.
This seems pretty nice, symmetry is subconsciously the largest form of beauty, and live too 160 (give or take) is nice, but there are some downsides as well.
The 1st is, what ever happens to the left side happens to the right, meaning if get a paper cut on your right hand, it shows up on the left. It even goes as far as your hair getting blown in two directions. The 2nd downside is a habit all of these people have when they are young. This habit makes them want symmetry on an unfathomable level. If one hand moves, the other must follow. If they write with their left hand, the right writes the same thing, only backwards. But this habit makes it impossible to walk, type, even turn their head to the side or cross their legs.
This means that at birth, each of these people are sent to therapy to break this habit. It takes time and effort, usual children can't walk until the age of seven or older. They are taught by older generations who have already learned to break the habit before being sent back into the world.

In my story so far, I have a character, Lane, who has just recently finished her training to break this habit, and has been released into the modern world.

There's just one problem, what does Lane DO? I have a plan for flashbacks of her time in therapy to be woven into the story, but first I need a story. What would our modern society do with these types of people? would they use them somehow? Does Lane have a goal even though all she's wanted to do is walk normally?

I like this concept, and I'm not used to this lack of ideas. It's really a blank slate, and I'd love to see if anyone has any cool ideas about where I could take it. If anyone likes it, please give me something.

Also, this is my first forum and I have no idea what to expect. Or do. Or say. Or, uhh anything.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:22 am
View Likes
LordZeus says...

Well, the first thing is to figure out the history of these special people. Did they always exist? Are they magic? Were they created through genetic manipulation of scientists? Are they aliens?
The thing is, first figure out their origins, and shape their culture and people from there. Do humans know about them? If so, how have humans treated them in the past?

Once you figure out the origins and history of your world, it should be easier to figure out where to go from there.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:03 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

To me, this sounds like it could be a cool dystopia. You have a really interesting premise here, now you just need to figure out what the point of the story is. :)

What does Lane want? What is his goal? What is the conflict keeping him from that goal? And why does the goal matter? What horrible thing will happen if Lane can't achieve his goal? Those questions are the basis of a plot and should help you figure out what Lane needs to do. What's the problem, and how is Lane going to solve it?

Mull it over for a while - it's no race. Learn as much as you can about Lane and about the world. You've identified some flaws, but how does the society react to those flaws? Is there any kind of resistance or group that wants to change how things are? Is there a secret or a conspiracy theory? Why are these people how they are? Does someone need to change the world (like in a dystopia)? Or are people pretty content with the world and Lane's problems are more subtle or internal like finding someone to love or accepting himself? What kind of story are you envisioning this as? Some of those questions might spark some ideas for you!

Good luck! :D
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:15 am
View Likes
JennyImStory says...

Thanks so much to both of you! @LordZeus, @Carlito!

Random avatar

Reviews: 223
Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:44 am
Mathy says...

Lane meets others of this race and travels a distance with friends she meets along the way to find a residing In a far away mountain whom her close school teacher during her school to break the habit told her the legends of. They meet him, and he explains how the human race got this way. He then ends up giving up his secret immortality to buy them to n e to escape the police raiding him and arresting him for government conspiracies. Lane and her friends must reveal the truth about their people and THEY ARE IN VR THE WHOLE TIME!!!! What of the logical gaps? You decide!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk
ZeldaIsSheik

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak