z

Young Writers Society

How can I fix my character bios

Reviews: 3
Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 am
ewolf20 says...

I've been bits skeptical as of late whether my revamped characters bios were any good especially with one my old bios that I had a hard time trying to update. Some said the my character bio was a bit paradoxical but I tried to explain to them that he had a split personality but they couldn't follow along.
If any one is willing to look this http://sta.sh/0ktgr1q57u8 and this http://sta.sh/0gltldkhkoe (trigger warning: kinda bad but don't take my word for it. Am my worst critic.)
Oh and here's one of the older character bios I did:

Blake rey: a 14 year-old kid easily looked up to by John archer. Blake is mostly quiet and likes be alone most the time but can be a quite good at giving advice. He's willing to do anything to help his sister get better from her cancer even if the blight queen would make him her second in command. As the black rose warrior of dark, he's cruel as he's sadistic and will torment his enemies as much as her can for his own pleasure and sick desire.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:01 pm
Aley says...

Character Bios are one of those things that are difficult to put a handle on. If you're using these bios for RPing, then it needs to give your fellow RPer a chance to understand the character they're going to be writing with, but these don't look like they're going to a storybook.

If you're using these bios for your personal understanding of the characters, than it really depends on the depth you want to understand each of them. Do you need to know who these characters are for the story? What sort of plot are they going to be involved in where some of these things will matter?

I think the important thing to remember is that people are people, full, and lots of life. Think about your friends, think about the people you dislike. Think about the leaders of our government, your parents, all of these people are ones you can draw on for how a person's mental faculties work together. Is everyone always quiet? No. Is everyone always loud? No. People have limits, and they have exceptions. One person might be extremely bigoted about certain topics, while others might be incredibly open as an individual, but has no drive to be anything. Your challenge in a character bio is to discover what sort of person you want to represent, then build their past, build their relationship to your main character, and remember it.

A while ago, mods made a resource for trying to do the prewriting for novels, and we have a section on Characters, you could check it out if you wanted some resources that can help you with this ^^ Journal Making Challenge

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year