z

Young Writers Society

Terrific Titles

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:25 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Titles. Somehow, the right one always seems to elude you, and you can never quite find the right group of words to fit your epic story.

Or maybe titles come naturally to you, and act as a jumping off point for the rest of your story.

However you feel about titles, whether you think having the perfect title is essential, or you think that it's one of the least important things about your story, they're often a factor in getting the reader to pick up a book in the first place.

So what are some of the best titles you've come across? What title has grabbed your eye from the spine of a book and made you want to know more? By seeing what's been effective for other writers, perhaps it might help you work out how to find a mane for your own work.

Discuss, discuss!
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

257 Reviews

Reviews: 257
Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:18 pm
View Likes
Tuesday says...

The Town That Forgot How To Breath since when I say the cover (and the title) I knew it was going to be good. Just the title itself gave me shivers and it seemed like a mystery and a thriller.
What does it mean to be brave?

she/they

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:34 pm
View Likes
Apricity says...

Ugh titles. I detest them so much but here are some I really like.

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip.K.Dick
Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:48 am
TriSARAHtops says...

I have a few haves I'd like to throw out there.

Firstly Armageddon Outta Here by Derek Landy. It's a collection of short stories based in the Skulduggery Pleasant universe, and is, in my opinion, one of the more epic titles out there. I remember reading one of Derek Landy's blog posts where he said he didn't think that the publishers would agree to the title, but it's a good thing they did, because it's a really funky title. It's a fun play on words, and a bit unique.

The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves (both by Maggie Stiefvater) are another couple of my favourites. They're quite simple, but there's a certain vibe to them that's very appealing.

You're the Kind of Girl I Write Songs About by Daniel Herborn has one of my favourite covers, and I love the title as well. I think I might have a soft spot for long and mouthful-esque titles.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

Goos are anarchists.
— WeepingWisteria