z

Young Writers Society

First Chapter Ideas?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:07 pm
rikiinwonderland says...

I need a few ideas for the first chapter of my story.
Here's a summery of my story:
My main character is a boy who falls in love with his best friend's depressed sister. I want the first chapter to be where he first meets the girl because she was shipped off to a rehab or something. I have everything outlined EXCEPT my first chapter so help would be fantastic! I need something that will just grab the reader in. :D

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:54 pm
Holysocks says...

I have no idea, dear! I have been having a similar problem, and someone wise and all-knowing informed me that I didn't have to start from the beginning. So I'm currently writing my book from the inside out... This might help you just start writing, and than somewhere along the way you might think of a really clever beginning! :-P
100% autistic

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:30 pm
View Likes
birk says...

I don't know too much from your outline, but it seems you've got the story you want set up. So that's good. Now you just have to write your plot.

Seeing as you want to head directly into the romance aspect of the story and show their first meeting; just go ahead and write it.

As this meeting between them will set off the romance and story to come, I'd want it to be authentic and have an emotional impact. Show us why and how they fall in love (or whether your main character just falls for her). Your entire story is going to rely on this first impression. If that's not right, the rest of the story will not feel right.

How you go about that, I don't know. That would come down to your characters and what they do. Use their personalities and interests to make a connection. There's gotta be something that brings them together. Maybe they both have similar interests, bond over something etc. Heck, maybe they both need some rehab.

Your first chapter is what hooks me in though, so don't skimp out on what you've got. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm
Spotswood says...

rikiinwonderland wrote:My main character is a boy who falls in love with his best friend's depressed sister.

My life last November.
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

Thou call'dst me a dog before thou hadst cause. But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs.
— Shylock, The Merchant of Venice