z

Young Writers Society

Gender Inequality in Film Survey

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:11 pm
View Likes
Astronaut says...

@Spotswood I don't think anyone has confirmed that Frozen was about anything deep/metaphorical.
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:14 pm
Sylar says...

@Spotswood It was made for girls, by girls. I know that boys enjoy it, but that's not why Jennifer Lee wrote it.

@Astronaut Only Sean can get through those. Eric has certainly confirmed he hates all of those, and I think Will, Chris, and David have all confirmed that too.
A SURPRISE PARTY

FOR ME

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6cunaBd7A)

46 Reviews

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:20 pm
Astronaut says...

meh
I don't have a signature.

Spoiler! :
Bet you didn't see that coming...

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:43 pm
birk says...

@Sylar, Frozen was neither made for girls, nor by girls.

I don't know how you came to this conclusion.

Disney would never limit their audience to eclusively females. They create family friendly films, crossing a varied scope of stories and ideas. They wouldn't cater to a single group. In this case, they adapted Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Snow Queen'.

Which was in turn written into a screenplay by Jennifer Lee, who appears to be the only female high within the production. Not, of course, taking into account the many (I'm assuming) females working within the animation studios, as well as songwriters.

I'm sorry, it just irked me. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

93 Reviews

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 pm
Sylar says...

USUALLY DISNEY PRINCESSES ARE MADE FOR GIRLS MOST OF THE TIME OKAY?

@Birkhoff
A SURPRISE PARTY

FOR ME

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6cunaBd7A)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm
birk says...

In Disney's beginnings, I'd say yes. The earliest Disney princesses in 'Snow White', 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'Cinderella' aimed pretty much at a female viewer.

As time went by though, and Disney went into its renaissance, their princess characters took on stronger personalities. It wasn't all about being pretty etc. It was films everyone could enjoy.

To the point, 'Frozen' removes itself even further from this as it doesn't even have the male hero norm that these others have and instead has two strong female characters who, while having flaws, deals with things themselves.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:41 pm
Spotswood says...

Sylar wrote:It was made for girls, by girls. I know that boys enjoy it, but that's not why Jennifer Lee wrote it.

It's gender neutral, which was one of the reasons they called it "Frozen" and not "The Snow Queen."

It was made for little kids in general, like every other Disney movie.

But I LOVED the overall sub-message in it, about the whole "no prince charming" and defying the whole prince charming archetype.

That whole subplot made the movie somewhat cynical, which is good, as cynicism isn't a trait usually associated with Disney. It defies tradition, and a little rebellion is good every now and then. Maybe cynical is too strong of a word, but it definitely was a message of realism, and about how the world is grey, and everyone has his his or her own agenda, in some sense. Everyone had his or her own agenda in Frozen, which made them developed characters, even though the writing was not as good as Tangled's (which has very good character development as well). The realist message made me smirk, as I like finding faults in the unrealism of previous Disney films.

And remember that Walt Disney did not target girls to be the main audience, not even Cindarella. The movies he made were more experimental, and based on German fairy tales, which were classics, and told by just about everyone in the eighteenth century. Disney did the same thing, only he made them less dark and more magical.

Frozen was definitely anti-idealism, despite the happy ending. But, who knows, maybe things will go down hill afterwards. We don't know what occured after the film. Remember guys, happy endings are an illusion. Luke Skywalker destroyed the death star, and there was a happy ending in the very end. But what happened after, in Empire. The Empire knocked them all back down...
"Often, the best way to improve is swallowing your ego and realizing you're a terrible writer in all aspects of writing, then working to improve it."
-R.U.

Reviews: 4
Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 am
Petrichor says...

Are you a boy or a girl? Girl

How old are you? 13

What is your favorite movie? (And if you can’t decide: top 5?) Probably Frozen or the Book Thief

Are there 2 or more female characters? Yes and yes

Do they talk to each other? Yes and yes

Do they talk about something other then a man? Yes and I think so :P

Is the main character a female? Yes and yes

If you’re a girl: Do you see more films with an empowered female character or an empowered male character? Usually female

Why? I like to go to the cinema and see movies about inspired and inspiring girls.

Anything else you’d like to add about gender inequality in film? No :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 am
View Likes
JumpyDot says...

et
Last edited by JumpyDot on Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

46 Reviews

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 pm
NicoleBri says...

Spoiler! :
***So I might be late, but, who cares! :) I want to do a survey!
Are you a boy or a girl? Girl

How old are you? 18

What is your favorite movie? She's the Man, Bride of Chucky, 50 First Dates, Blended, and Charlie's Angels.

Are there 2 or more female characters? Definitely so.

Do they talk to each other?
A lot.

Do they talk about something other then a man? Mhm..

Is the main character a female? Yes but so are some guys, it just depends on the movie you are asking about from above.

If you’re a girl: Do you see more films with an empowered female character or an empowered male character?
Hmmm... I haven't really thought about that, let me think, well I have saw many girl empowered characters but also many if not way more guys.

Why? I guess Hollywood scenes just tend to lean more to guys than girls? Sort of like how us women used to not even have rights to vote. Hmmm.. this makes me angry now. >:(

Anything else you’d like to add about gender inequality in film? Nope. I just love movies! :)
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

Random avatar

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:22 pm
emeraldfox says...

Are you a boy or a girl?
Girl

How old are you?

What is your favorite movie? (And if you can’t decide: top 5?)
(500) Days of Summer

Are there 2 or more female characters?
Yes

Do they talk to each other?
No

Do they talk about something other then a man?
N/A

Is the main character a female?
No

If you’re a girl: Do you see more films with an empowered female character or an empowered male character?
Female

Why?
There are more films with males, but I prefer the ones with females.

Anything else you’d like to add about gender inequality in film?

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:13 am
AnimalQueen says...

1. Female
2. 13
3. The Great Gilly Hopkins
4. Gilly, Agnes, Mimi, Courtney, Gilly's teacher, Gilly's gramma
5. HELL YEAH! You should hear Agnes!
6. They don't talk at all bout men. The story is mostly about family problems.
7.Yes, Gilly Hopkins is the main character.
8. I usually watch movies and read books about great and powerful female characters. I went through a hunger games phase, for instance. Now I'm all about the mortal instruments.
9. I am interested in things like this because I am a girl. If I were a boy I'd watch movies about heroic male characters. I just find it easier to get attached to characters of your own gender.
10. I think something NEEDS to be done about the rape issue in India.

People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love