z

Young Writers Society

An idea for a great novel?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:16 am
dionysian says...

Memo from the Dionysian: I was chatting with a friend at work that is a psychology major. Being a philosopher/writer, I typically hate the psychology major; however, when she brought forth the topic of eugenics I was pleasantly surprised. She actually agreed with eugenics! (FYI--eugenics is basically genetic engineering that involves sterilizing "inferior" human beings and creating a caste system--a hierarchy--of individuals in a society). The biggest challenge to eugenics: geuss who were the most famous eugenicists? The Nazi's. Of course I would not ascribe to their practices. I was profoundly impacted with a classic I read last May, Huxley's Brave New World. Since I agree with Plato and Aristotle's doctrine that artists are imitaters, I was thinking a great new controversial novel could be written about eugenics in today's academic community. Lucky for me, that friend of mine had done extensive research on eugenicists' activities today, so I have been using her research, and other sources, to start the project. Let us muse: if a lot of the intellectuals are now the immoralists, could it be legitimate to practice eugenics? Huxley obviously thought it was immoral (despite its good points), but my objective is to look at the issue from the existential perspective, to take the opposite perspective of Huxley, and write something so corrosive it may lead people to heft out their black bile all over the office floor. So far it is about a small group of people living in a suburban part of a semi-major city, and these people are the victims of a eugenics experiment initiated by the government. I am drafting out a whole chapter devoted to a priest's sermon, an intellectual who is not poisoned, and a love triangle (of course). The challenge is to avoid the sci-fi leaning. If this sounds cool, get back to me and perhaps I can post my progress.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:28 am
Snoink says...

Hahaha... this sounds how my novel, FREAK, started out.

A couple of warnings:

Be very careful about the priest's sermon. The last thing that anybody wants to read is a long rant about how humanity should conform, blah blah. It gets annoying very quickly. So, to make it less annoying, you have to do a couple of things.

Still, most importantly, make it have action. While the priest is talking, the characters have to be do something. They might be looking at each other nervously, maybe they suddenly have a headache... you can be creative. But don't make them angst about it, or even think about the sermon, or at least not a lot. Actions say more than words and in this case, their thoughts would actually detract from the priest's sermon.

And, if you want to avoid the sci-fi leaning, guess what you have to do? Focus on the characters. Think of this Patton quote:

"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory."

So yeah, even though you have all this technology, the people are still human. So you have to emphasis that and create real characters. And God help you if you don't...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:32 pm
Wiggy says...

That made my head hurt...:D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:42 pm
Skye says...

That sounds pretty sweet! I wasn't familiar with eugenics before I read this post, but I think I'd pick your book off the library shelves any day. ;)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 pm
-KayJuran- says...

Hehe, I would have to agree with Snoink: sounds a lot like FREAK. ;)

Not that that's a bad thing - I'd love to see how two similar ideas can develop differently. I'll keep an eye out for your work.

Good luck!

--Kay
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:18 am
aeroman says...

I love the idea and would definitely read it. I personally would be terrible at writing a novel like that, but it seems like you have the knack. Good luck! :D
They haven't invented the missile that can kill an ideal.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:39 am
lillizard says...

Nice job. But remember, although you want your characters and villains to be awesome, you've got to give them flaws. Nobody likes a perfect character. Keep up the good work!
If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a wisher, a lier, a magic bean buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, For we have some flax-golden tales to spin Come In! Come In!~Shel Silverstein

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:26 pm
Kel says...

I haven't ever read Brave New World, and I'm not sure if I would read this or not.

My biggest thing would be reading the priest's sermon. A lot of people forget that there are priests that're less stuffy when giving sermons and I've not heard a fire and brimstone one yet. That is, if you're going Catholic priest. That's my automatic association with the word 'priest'.

I dislike books that always make religion out to be the villain. Sometimes it's good, but most of the time, especially in fantasy novels, the religious fanatics are always the 'bad guys'.

But I'd give your book a skim, if nothing else, to see if I'd like it or not. Interesting concept, though.
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I'm going to move this to Fiction Discussion.

*Moved.*
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:57 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I had an idea for a great novel it was suppose to be of a diamond budhist artifact found in eastern asia and worth millions. sought after by governments all over the face of the world to secret organizations, and tomb raiders.
~Everyone~

=) *wave*

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:20 pm
Pushca says...

Kel wrote:I dislike books that always make religion out to be the villain. Sometimes it's good, but most of the time, especially in fantasy novels, the religious fanatics are always the 'bad guys'.

The operative word there is "fanatics". Fanatics and radicals tend to be the 'bad guys' in real life, too, whether it be religious fanaticism or not.

I think it could be excellent. It could be a lot of things, but that's the important one. :D
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien