z

Young Writers Society

Dreaded Genres

What is the genre which you dread writing the most?

Romance
32%
Fantasy
6%
Horror
13%
Science Fiction
6%
Teen Fiction
6%
Crime/Mystery
13%
Action/Adventure
No votes
Historical Fiction
15%
Literature
4%
Other (please specify)
4%

Total votes : 47

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:15 pm
View Likes
Snowery says...

There are some genres in writing that we'd never attempt or at least attempting it would require a tonne of motivation and then some. So which genre do you find difficult or scary to write? Fantasy? Romance?
For me, it's teen fiction. I doubt I can ever write a believable teenager who would do believable teenage things. I feel like I'd have no idea what to do with the plot either. So how about you? Which genre strikes dread into your heart and why? Looking forward to hearing your responses! :D
The World Is Mine.

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:25 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Romance. O_O No, please, no. I'll do your laundry and make you tea but I refuse to write in this genre! For one, I can't write it believably, and I refuse to write anything in which I cannot build up my characters to my satisfaction. Two, I cannot write it unless it's as a side-plot, and even then I prefer hinting at relationships and keeping my reader in the dark because ... it's difficult to write, okay?

Action/Adventure all the way!
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:29 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

I didn't even get the twist in the film - The Others. Like literally didn't understand what was happening.

Hence - I can't even think about attempting crime/mystery!
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Science fiction for me!
To elaborate, I love the genre and I have no troubles coming up with ideas or a story in the genre - but I suck with all the technical details, which are more often than not quite necessary. I can write you an amazing adventure with time traveling in space. But how exactly do the ships work, what's the fuel and how to repair something that broke? Eh..
I can read up on it all I want, and even understand it all and picture it in my head, but actually writing it is still scary xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:29 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I am a stickler with no romance novels, mainly because I can't write it well without bursting into laughter! So, romance is a no-go with me.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:13 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

Romance should never be the main theme of any book. If you can write more then 20 pages of a romance themed story, I think you might be a tad obsessed, and I would be very scared of you.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:05 pm
View Likes
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Dystopian is brilliant, but it requires greatness to write, and have have come across too many cliched works that are nowhere near the greats like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451. So no new dystopian futures for me.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:39 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Humour if any sort for me.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:28 am
View Likes
Cole says...

Love: Literature, Horror, Historical Fiction

Like: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Action/Adventure

Tolerate: Romance, Crime/Mystery

Loathe: Teen Fiction

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:31 pm
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

I can't write horror. I've never been one for reading horror books or watching horror movies. Something about going out of your way to intentionally scare yourself just never sounded right to me. I understand wanting an adrenaline rush (I love roller coasters), but scaring yourself? Not for me.
So due to lack of experience and interest, I really don't know how to write horror. And honestly, I have no intention of learning. I am content with action/adventure, fantasy, and sci-fi. :)
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 am
View Likes
Laure says...

I don't mind reading about romance books, but I simply cannot write them. I've tried writing them once, but it came off as playful and borderline flirting. Or tipping the scale, overtly cheesy and so cliché that is not even funny. So apart from some minor flirting, romance writing is my huge kryptonite.

301 Reviews

Reviews: 301
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 am
Snowery says...

Ooooh, science fiction does make me shiver with dread, and I doubt I'll ever write a science fiction story because it can tend to make me feel claustrophobic (I might go and write one now just as a challenge... XD )

With romance, though I do dread reading it and often prefer it as an implied subplot, much like Pompy, I do feel that t's a great platform for character interaction if done well. That would probably be the only reason i'll ever attempt it.
The World Is Mine.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:59 am
TriSARAHtops says...

I find writing speculative fiction in general pretty intimidating, because there's so much more world building involved and I guess that adds more pressure? I find the character side of things comes to me a lot easier than setting, so even something like urban fantasy, which doesn't necessarily require all that much world building compared to something like epic fantasy, but you've still got to work out how magic works in the world and all these other considerations that just aren't a thing in realistic fiction. I may someday write some kind of fantasy novel, but it's probably a fair while away.

I also find historical fiction highly terrifying. For similar reasons as above - also because I'd probably spend so much time researching that I'd never write the darn thing.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

841 Reviews

Reviews: 841
Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:26 pm
Radrook says...

Horror because I always wind up scaring myself and with a guilty conscience for having expressed something which might be perceived as contrary to Christian religious teachings.
“Defamation; is an act of impiety.”
― Kristian Goldmund Aumann, The Seven Deadly Sins

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:17 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

Horror bc it's ew and unnecessarily violent.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas