Young Writers Society

Favorite Female Characters

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:11 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I think I'll use it the next time I get angry in the car. Like, someone cuts me off: "You BUM-RAG!" Because I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to stay angry after yelling "bum-rag."

Reviews: 1
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:58 am
MoonSkeleton says...

Margo Roth spieglman from paper towns by John green

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 am
View Likes
QuentintheSad says...

Julia from George Orwell's 1984 because she only rebels for superficial reasons, as a woman would.

Tereza from Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being because she is entirely dependent on Tomas, as a woman would be.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:42 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I am going to assume that was tongue-in-cheek, because if it wasn't you should probably prepare to be stampeded by a horde of angry females.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:06 pm
View Likes
QuentintheSad says...

Yes, it was a joke.

760 Reviews

Reviews: 760
Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:23 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas says...

*wipes brow* *puts down battle-axe*

What fools these mortals be!
William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do.

Linkin Park
One More Light

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm
View Likes
CuriosityCat says...

YAY! Malala! <3 She's one of my heroes. I'm reading her book "I Am Malala" right now. :3 She is amazing.

Now I'm done freaking out, on to the actual question. Here is a moderately short list of some of my favorite female characters:

Jane Goodall
She lived with chimpanzees most of her adult life, and was an incredible activist. She observed a female gorilla, Flo, and raised her son in the same way Flo raised her children. She was one of my childhood heroes. <3

Dian Fossey
She was an occupational therapist who studied orangutans with her husband for many many years. She both violently wrecked traps set by poachers for mountain gorillas and apparently still looked stunning in a fancy dress. Not many people can do both. :P

Birute Galdikas
She had to break up with her husband to remain with her work in Olduvai. He had to leave, but she stayed with the orangutans and remarried to a local man. Seriously, WOW.

Anne Bonnie
She was one of the first female well-known pirates, and incredibly good at it, too. I saw a play about her when I was little and developed a bit of a pirate obsession. She was rebellious, deadly, brave, and very smart.

Beatrice Prior
I've only read the first book, but I absolutely love her character. She is brave, smart, charismatic, and finds reason to exist beyond her boyfriend, unlike many female characters. (COUGHCOUGHTwilightCOUGHCOUGH)

Annabeth Chase
Rick Riordan nailed this character. She is strong, extremely intelligent, kind, loyal, and creative. She's another one of the few female spouses who actually have a personality. <_< In fact, if I had to choose, I would say that she's probably the dominant half of Percy and Annabeth's relationship. Lord knows we need some more female charecters like that.

Yeah, I could go on for several pages. XD These are just the ones off the top of my head. Anyway, hope I could help! Kudos! :)
~Cat
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:22 am
BluesClues says...

BiscuitsBatchAvoy wrote:*wipes brow* *puts down battle-axe*

Oh, Biscuits. I love you so much. I think I must now add you to my list of favorite female characters.

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:45 am
View Likes
rainforest says...

Alrighty! I have a few.

Katniss Everdeen, from the Hunger Games series

Beatrice Prior, from the Divergent series

Piper McLean, from the Percy Jackson series

Annabeth Chase, from the Percy Jackson series

Malala Yousafzai, education activist
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:12 am
View Likes
TaliaSankEden says...

Kira from Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Eowyn from The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (let's be real; pretty much all the females from LOTR are pretty frickin cool)
Hermione, Luna, Ginny, and McGonagall from Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Jane Austen writes some pretty rad female characters
Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Violet Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Those are just some of the many.
Stay gold.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:14 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

*gags at everyone saying Tris*

@TaliaSankEden VIOLET IS UNDERAPPRECIATED. I LOVE HER SO MUCH.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:15 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

I do quite like Violet Baudelaire. Actually, I just read Book 2 of Lemony Snicket's newer series, All the Wrong Questions, and I think he writes really awesome girls.

Also, Malala should be on everyone's list, and if she's not then you need to go back and read the OP over and over until she is. Because, seriously. If I ever get to meet her, I mean. She's so inspiring.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 am
Iggy says...

NEW SERIES WHAT?!??

I'LL STOP CLOGGING THIS THREAD NOW BUT LINK ME BLUE PLS PLS
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:24 am
BluesClues says...

It's okay because I am totally enjoying the thread being all clogged and stuff, it's actually really exciting.

The MC is "Lemony Snicket," since you know that's a pseudonym, but he's solving some sort of mystery. Unfortunately, I don't know precisely what the overarching mystery is (although there seems to be one smaller mystery per book) because I bought the second one first by mistake. But it's really good and similar in tone/style to A Series of Unfortunate Events, so you should definitely like it. Plus, the girls are just as awesome and smart in this series. Love the journalist--I forget her name because I've only read it once and it was before the end of last semester, but she carries her typewriter everywhere...

All the Wrong Questions

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:49 am
View Likes
TaliaSankEden says...

@Iggy I have read the whole series 4 times so Violet has a special place in my heart. <3
Stay gold.

People ask if I ever experience writer's block and I just have to laugh... that's my default position.
— Aaron Sorkin