z

Young Writers Society

Fantasy

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:06 pm
BrumalHunter says...

What exactly constitutes YA fiction?

PS: Everybody just ignore the last post on the previous page. It's there for a reason unrelated to this post. It will be moved in time. :P
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:15 pm
Cadi says...

Some of my long-time favourites have already had some love in this thread - JK Rowling, Robin Hobb, Patrick Rothfuss and Philip Pulman included.

Recently, I've been really into Marie Brennan's Lady Trent series, which is what might be termed "low fantasy" - you don't have elves or magic or any of those kinds of tropes, but there are dragons! The whole series is about doing science on dragons. I was drawn in by the premise, and I stayed because the characters are amazing, and the dragon science is fascinating.

I'm also a big fan of Diana Wynne Jones, who wrote a lot of children's fantasy books, the most famous of which is probably Howl's Moving Castle. I got into her Chrestomanci series as a child, which have excellently engaging plots, and I loved Fire and Hemlock, which is a bit darker and more mysterious - I reread that one because I'm never quite sure I've fully "got" the ending.
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

Reviews: 3
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 am
darthchloe says...

I love Sarah J. Maas, Ally Carter and Michael Buckley. By Sarah J. Maas I love the Throne of Glass series. By Michael Buckley I love the Sisters Grimm. By Ally Carter I love All Fall Down (embassy row).

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria