z

Young Writers Society

Space Name Finding Tips

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:16 pm
CarleyDarlene26 says...

He guys! I need name sugjestions for my characters really bad. My story is set in the future and in space. If you have any space-ish name ideas, for both male and female characters, that would be great!! Thank you:)

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:48 am
Iggy says...

*brainstorms*

*searches internet*

You didn't specify a gender, so how about... Neil? *ba dum tiss* ;)

No, srsly. You can do what J.K Rowling did and name your characters after stars. Bellatrix, Sirius, Andromeda, Scorpius, etc.

A useful website for space baby names can be found here! Good luck~ :twisted:
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Reviews: 0
Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:57 am
CarleyDarlene26 says...

Thank you! But yeah I need both names for both male and female.

Those star names just might work! I have the hardest time finding names for my characters.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:51 am
Zolen says...

Well if you want to go the more realistic way, lets look at some naming history, see how they actually changed and what has been popping up recently and why it popped up.

Jacob- variations include Jaycob, Jacobus, as far as I can see. Several deviations and simplifications appear to exist, Jake, Jeb, Koby, Cobus, Coos, Jaap, Kobe, Kobus, Koos, Sjaak, Sjakie. Jake deviates from several names, but we can see where the names match up, Cobus, Coos, and Jaap, appear to be the result of interpretation and alterations based on the language of that area. Evolutions of the name seem to be based at least partially on re-interpreting syllables and vowels. From this I can imagine Jacob developing future variations such as, Kab, Jalob, Kigjes, ect (assuming they don't already exist) based on warping the syllables..then playing random letter gen in my head.

Many current and old names are based on locations, concepts, and wishes, mostly complementary ideas. So say they are on earths moon, they might have names that are references to that, such as the sea of rains, Imbrium. Or like many names the fusion of a few words, such as Justin means justice (me making a example of a common name). A future variation that has to do with a colony might reference their means of survival, a dome, which might evolve into something like Damon which people would consider to mean protection or to protect (it does not mean that now but that name would appear possibly in the future under a different light, given warping of things around them).

Also names having to do with gems appear to be popular and will likely continue to be popular well into the stars.

P.S if you want to be all simple about it, just look for names that are shortish and start with a I, Q, F, P or Z, names that start with those letters are often just slightly strange sounding enough to fit, and that logic shows up in a lot of old sci-fi
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm
Robusto says...

Try translating english words most associated with them (such as the word death for an assassin) into latin. It's how i came up with the name Frigus for one of my characters.

Look, a good poem is a poem that exists. Any poem you write is better than the poem you don't.
— WeepingWisteria